College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Playoff Expansion Idea - Auto Bids with Exceptions

0 HS
Wargor's picture
December 12, 2019 at 1:46pm
32 Comments

I've posted this idea a few times, but I don't understand why it isn't a great compromise on the auto-bid vs. no auto-bid debate.  Leave aside whether you think the playoff should be expanded or not.

Why not have an auto-bid for conf. champs with an exception?  Conf. champs are in unless they have more than two losses.  So Wisconsin could have gotten in with a win, but Northwestern last year wouldn't have had a shot.

For group of five you can do the same thing, but perhaps make it 1 loss.  So best group of 5 gets an auto bid if they have 1 or fewer losses.  Or perhaps winner of the best (computer model) group of 5 conference gets in if they don't have 2 or more losses.   Thus this year Memphis gets in, but if Cincy would have beaten them, then the bid goes as an at large.  

Seems like a decent compromise given that the loudest objection to auto bids is the concept of Northwestern last year or Virginia this year getting in.  

Alternatively, have a rule that says no conference champ can be excluded if they have the same number of losses as a non-champ that gets in.  That should make sure that an Oregon (probably deserving in a field of 8) doesn't get excluded for a Florida or Georgia.  

I think under any expansion you run the risk of lessening the regular season for the big dogs and encouraging the middle tier schools to play it safe, and neither of these ideas solves that, but it seems like if you have decided to expand, it isn't hard to solve the auto-bid vs. 4 loss conf. champ problem.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 32 Comments