College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Another Weird NCAA Recruiting Situation

+6 HS
JTFor President2016's picture
January 6, 2018 at 5:05pm
28 Comments

We all know that there are several rules that the NCAA has that are just plain dumb. See Micah Parsons. But there is a new situation that has arose thanks to the early signing period. MODS - This post is about recruiting in general, not just Ohio State recruiting, so I put it in the college sports forum, feel free to change if you see fit.

Recently, the Army All-American game took place. Before the early signing period was a thing, this was a huge day in recruiting where most of the top prospects would commit to their School. However, with the early signing period most of the top players have already signed. This is fine. 

The weird scenario occurs when a player wants to sign early, but doesn’t want people to know. See Tyreke Smith. He actually signed with Ohio state during the early signing period; however, he wanted nobody to know because he still wanted his “big moment” at the All-American game. According to Bruce Feldman, “there are recruits that have actually signed, but don’t want anyone to know until the February signing day”. Again, the reason for this is because these “Star” players want that “big moment” on the traditional signing day, but at the same time, want their recruiting process done. 

The issue is this. It is a violation to recruit a player that had already signed, and just a simple call can be a violation. A coach told Bruce Feldmen, “you could end up committing a violation because you are recruiting a kid that you didn’t know already signed someplace else”. So take Tyreke Smith for example. Ohio State knew he was signed, but it wasn’t public. Any coach in America could have called, thinking he was uncommitted, but then be hit with a violation. 

I think the NCAA will end up doing something about this, but it’s still weird. I’m curious as to just how many guys are actually already signed but want to have their own “big moment” and haven’t announced it yet. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 28 Comments