Getting Rid of Bias in College Football and New Playoff

+11 HS
NGBuck21's picture
January 2, 2018 at 2:13am
92 Comments

6 Team Playoff

-Power 5 Champs
-Best Group of 5 Champion

No polls, no committees. Just a universal set of rules and tie breakers for all teams agreed upon by NCAA and FBS conferences. Trying to get best teams just isn't ideal and will always bring subjectivity into the discussion. No other sport is this complicated because there are agreed upon rules. I always thought 8 teams but why include 2 wildcard teams? If you don't win the conference why have a shot at a title? If you're not in you lost it on the field and not because a committee kept you out or you weren't voted high enough.

"OOC games would mean nothing." Not necessarily. Why not make OOC rigorous to prepare yourself for conference slate? Make a tie breaker criteria for seeding teams specifically on OOC opponent win percentage? That makes it a priority for teams to schedule tough OOC games.

Tie breakers for selecting group of 5 participant and for determining seeding could be the below:

1. Conference Champ (Mandatory)
2. Overall record
3. OOC opponent win %
4. Overall opponent win %
5. Opponents with winning records
6. Bowl opponents

Once season is over the power 5 and group of 5 participant are under the same criteria for seeding. So this year I would be absolutely comfortable seeding UCF as #1 and rewarding them for going undefeated. I don't feel they are better than the power 5 champs personally but the rules would be unbiased.

I haven't done the math or looked at the numbers but let's just say the seeds are, 1) UCF, 2) Oklahoma, 3) Clemson, 4) UG, 5) OSU, 6) USC

UCF is slated for the Sugar Bowl and Oklahoma for the Rose for the semi finals.

UG v. OSU (UG home field) and winner would face UCF in Sugar. Clemson vs USC (Clemson home field) and winner faces Oklahoma in Rose.

Bowls are in tact. No committees or polls decide who is best. Win your conference, get rewarded with a playoff berth. It's all decided on the field with a universal set of rules decided and agreed upon by the conferences. Small guys get a chance. Make up a rule for independents if needed.

You could also apply universal conference rules as well. Divisions, no divisions, 8 conference games, 9 conference games, etc.

Anything to get the subjectivity and bias out of the sport. Hate the committee worse than the BCS and I hate the polls. Whatever we can do to set up rules and make the sport more universally accepted amongst the participants would be fantastic.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 92 Comments