College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

The Losing Effect: That Team (Wisconsin)

Matt Gutridge's picture
November 19, 2017 at 2:15pm
46 Comments

Note: This is written as a reminder on how not to respond when your favorite team loses or struggles. 

No

The team that is coached by the one who wears khakis has lost four of the last five games played against ranked teams. The win was against No. 17 Florida (4–6) in Week 1 of this season.

Comparing Harbaugh and Hoke Through 37 Games
OPPONENT     HARBAUGH     HOKE
RANKED OPPONENTS     5–6     3–10
OHIO STATE     0–2     1–1
MICHIGAN STATE     1–2     1–1
BCS/NY6 BOWL     0–1     1–0
OVERALL     28–9     26–11

After game 37, Brady Hoke went 5–9 and was fired. Here's to history repeating itself.

Temper, temper

The men so blue are having another meltdown after their team's third loss of the 2017 season. In his first two seasons, The One Who Wears Khakis finished with three losses. This year, there's a chance his team could finish with five. Before we get too ahead of ourselves, let's just hope he earns number four on Saturday.

A hazmat suit was worn to mine through the game article on mgoblog.com. Now you don't have to read all 441 comments.

As always, the words are theirs. It was difficult, but spelling and grammatical errors were not corrected. 

Turning On The One Who Wears Khakis And Their Coaches

blichtybcl:

The schedule was incredibly favorable this year, but M never beat a team that wasn’t complete shit. Furthermore, the offense has shown ZERO reason to be optimistic about next year, even.

blue90:

Bottom line is a bunch of people are going to make excuses like injuries and inexperience like they have been saying for three years now and you are just fooling yourselves.  Everyone has injuries and inexperience.  We haven't been winning important games and we haven't been to the big ten championship game and those are both facts.

Occam's Razor:

Big game; Big excuse 

Get ready for more. Excuses central until next year. 

It's either the refs here, luck there, etc etc. 

Just keeps going. 

Never realizing that maybe, just maybe, coaching is a bit lacking especially on the Oline where 2 QBs have now been murdered.

UMAaizinBlue:

There's A difference between replacing and blaming the OLine coaching staff and saying that Harbaigh should be fired year 4, which was stated above. This offense can be coached to be good...just not by the current staff.

Tuebor:

He is safe next year too. Although if we lose @msu, @nd, and @osu then 2019 is a make or break year. 

TrueBlue2003:

Our players were ready to go our coaches somewhat failed them.

Our brilliant offensive wrinkles?  Wildcat.  WTF. No jet sweeps.  No reverses.  Nothing creative other than the nice throw to Hill. For having three offensive coordinators, they don't do a very good job. 

DrewForBlue:

Someone check my math But this puts Harbaugh at 7-9 against teams with WINNING RECORDS.  I would be curious to see the company that puts him in.

Toby Flenderson:

Wait...ok so are you telling me that a coach is more successful against bad teams than against good teams?

Big if true.

DrewForBlue:

Umm What exactly are your expectations for a team with consistently top 10 recruiting classes and the highest paid coach?  I'm genuinely curious.

switch26:

Most coaches would be on the hot seat with that record. I fully expect the media to have harbaugh on a flaming hot seat next year.

snarling wolverine:

Yes, let's fire the guy who's won 28 games in three years, after having turned around San Diego, Stanford and the 49ers so we can join Tennessee in the Quest for Jon Gruden.

blue90:

By your logic We should have kept brady hoke, he won 26 games in three years and thats only two less than 28 so he was pretty good too?  Wrong.  He has not won the games he should.  He deserves one more year, if it is not good then we should get les miles.

snarling wolverine:

Yes, because obviously Brady Hoke's track record is the same as Jim Harbaugh's.

And of course, since we're all complaining about the offense, Les Miles is just the guy to solve those problems.

blue90:

I'm using your logic, not mine.

Hoke also turned around two programs.*  Do you post like 100 times a day or are you another unrealistic fan who doesn't realize that we haven't been good since 1997? You have wayy too many mgopoints lol

matty blue:

Les Miles? Fuck off, dummy.

Blue1995nyc:

I am sorry to say we saw today what we have seen from this team last 3 years.

1) Inability to take advantage of teams with the deep ball .. with it wide open.

2) Critical penalties

3) Special Teams let downs

4) D gives up huge plays at the worst times.

5) REFs seem to make some head scratchers.  From the DPJ TD to the PI. 

6) Unless we over power, WE NEVER OUT SCHEME.

Lots of growing up to do at Schemmy starting with the Coaching Staff IMHO.

dougr188:

Harbaugh is just Hoke in a different cloak.  Losing record against winning teams, losing record against rivals, and a losing record on the road against ranked teams.  When will the MGoSheeple see this?

Stringer Bell:

He can destroy terrible teams at least.  So we got that going for us, which is nice.

CLion:

Just win a fucking game against odds Harbaugh. No excuses. Just fucking do it. That's what great coaches do. 

BornInAA:

Jim H isn't Bo. Never will be. Starting to look like Hoke in bewilderment.

Never saw Bo get bewildered.

smwilliams:

I’ll say my peace and then leave...

Jim Harbaugh is paid (and frankly it’s not my $, it’s the expectation) like a top coach in the country:

He is on track to lose 10-11 games in his first 3 years:

Here’s how other elite coaches have done in their first three years:

Saban: 8 losses and a national title (6 losses in Year One)
Meyer: 8 at Florida and 3 at OSU (national championships with both programs)
Fisher: 10 and a conference title
Stoops: 7 losses and a national title
Miles: 6 losses and a national title

So, yeah, I expected Harbaugh to get Michigan to that level. He hasn’t been able to. At some point you have to do more than beat crap teams and lose to good ones.

UM Indy:

Worst part of all of this is that we all know this is the best possible guy we could have coaching us and it’s not good enough. That scares the shit out of all of us and rightfully so.

Harbaugh

THIS IS THE HARSH REALITY THAT WOLVERINE FANS ARE FACING. THE FACT THAT HARBAUGH WASN’T THE SAVIOR THAT WE HAD ALL HOPED.– Coldwater

Turning On Their Players

B1G_Fan:

When Peters went down, I was hoping for ANY other QB than O'Korn. I went full on doom and gloom when O'korn ran out. I don't see how Peters can play next week if he had a concussion.

Um1994:

Agree about the Oline.  They should be embarrassed.  Two QBs leave the field in an ambulance during the same season?!?  Pathetic. 

Reader71:

Speight and Peters have been injured by players who were the responsibility of our running backs. OL isn’t good at protection, but they are getting no help from the backs or tight ends.

btn:

Did you see how pathetic our D looked at the end of the game? Wisconsin punched our team in the mouth, and injured numerous Michigan players on both sides of the ball.

Stringer Bell:

I would like for our OL to stop getting our QBs killed

mgoblue98:

In some cases, it's the RB's.

Blue1995nyc:

O'Korn is super bad.  Sorry but let Malzone play.

DonBrownSoda:

JOK is making a strong case for worst QB in Michigan history.

Peters

But this offense sucks no matter what string QB is playing. – blichtybcl

Turning On Each Other

DJMich23:

Hahahaha

This fanbase is truly a fucking joke.

Blue Velvet:

Aren't you a part of it?

If not, then STFU.

Louie C:

Shut the fuck up.

UM1994:

Long time lurker, but I can't take the Mlive level comments on this board.  You are an example of the problem with this fan base. 

Ryno2317:

I am getting off this site for a few weeks since most of you have the mental maturity of a 13 year old school girl.  You guys are terrible.  

A few minutes later

Ryno2317:

Actually, after reading these threads the past hour or so, I apologize to 13 year old school girls everywhere.  Jesus people.  

Digme 71:

Sums it up nicely

Agree.  All these negative nancys need to take their heads out of their assholes.  If same shit continues next year then they may have a point.

I Like Burgers:

Should have used the second post to tell Bando to fuck off after his dipshit “didn’t look ready to play” nonsense.

FranklinHatchett:

1. Would you say that to any coach or player? 2. Next week if Michigan wins will you delete your account? 3. Why are such a piece of crap? 4. Why root for a team that all you do is crap on?

Bando Calrissian:

You're really coming out firing.

Try being here for more than two weeks before telling someone to delete their account.

FrankinHatchett:

Can you read? I asked if you would delete your account. Being here for a long time shouldn't give you the right to crap on our team. Youafraid to answer those questions.

Bando Calrissian:

What are you trying to prove here, tough guy?

FranklinHatchett:

Not trying to prove anything. You have already proved you are a piece of crap who is also a coward.

ST3:

Bando Puts the arrogant asshole in arrogant assholes.

Cavalry21:

I literally never post despite being here since the beginning. Calling out these kids despite the injuries, you are an Asshole...If that's not enough for you, get the fuck out, and go away. Yeah. Delete your account

Ryno2317:

Bando is calling out the coaching staff for not going on the road and beating a top 5 team.  Bando has very high expectations for a guy sitting on his couch pounding his pudd during commerical breaks.  Bando is silly.  Bando should stop posting for a bit.  

A little bit later, Ryno2317 wasn't too pleased with some readers wondering if Harbaugh should be let go.

Ryno2317:

Fuck.  This post is dumb.  Harbaugh on the hot seat.  What the fuck is wrong with you? 

matty blue:

Welcome to Idiotville.

Population you.

gustave ferbert:

the fan base needs to put on the iron jock.  

Some of the whiniest bitching I ever seen/heard/read

Chuck:

Michigan's fan base as easily become the one i loathe the most.

It's The Damn Ref's Fault
Blame It On The Refs

snarling wolverine:

There were two huge (no-)calls that went against us.  First, the blatant block in the back right at the beginning of their punt return TD (how was this not flagged?).  Second, the DPJ fade that was ruled incomplete even as review showed his left foot was inbounds first.  Those two amounted to a 14-point swing (7 for them, 7 off the board for us).

Ibpeley:

Can someone tell me why the FUCK replay reviews are a thing if the goddamm assfuck that's watching it completely goddamm ignores what's right there in front of his eyes? DPJ had 6. End of story.

Jonesy:

nonsense pi/holding extended 3 of their drives, 2 went for touchdowns. Meh, we were the better team. Luck and incompetent refs as usual let the other team win. 

BossHawgzGoinHam:

Somebody from a position of power needs to say or do something! I mean instead we set by as mindless sheep while we watch the fuckin refs exploit our team and absolutely crush them over and over. Imagine how much the B1G or CFB would care if us as fans completely boycotted the B1G Championship or the National Championship. This will never happen because sheep were meant to follow but eventually something has to give or somebody has to say something.

Reality

This is the harsh reality that Wolverine fans are facing. The fact that Harbaugh wasn’t the Savior that we had all hoped.– Hotel Putingrad

Reality Bites

Occam's Razor:

Wisconsin was a better team. 

A good team doesn't get 2 QBs killed in a season due to shit Oline play that still can't block stunts. 

Wisconsin wasn't lucky. They were just better. Their players made plays when it counted. When was the last time Michigan's offense did that in a big game? 

Next week will not be fun. 

UM1994:

O'Korn is bad, but I don't think there are many teams that win a game on the road against a top 10 team with their 3rd QB.

I think there was a team a couple of years ago that was able to have a little run with a third-string quarterback a couple of years ago...

Bando Calrissian:

...the excuses of why this program cannot win a big game are beginning to wear thin. At some point, they're going to have to win one of them instead of just leaning on the old familiar excuses against ranked teams and rivals. It's not just bad luck and bad refs year after year after year for a decade or more. Something isn't working, and it runs deep.

blichtybcl:

I’m not a “sky is falling” fan, but the offense was a special kind of bad for much of the season.

Sleepy:

But it's almost as if some fans forget what 2008-14 was like. I mean, the year before Harbaugh arrived...

* lost to ND 31-0

* lost to Minnesota at home by multiple scores while playing a visibly concussed QB

* lost to Rutgers & Maryland

* lost to MSU by 25

* M00N

Tuebor:

Damm, id settle for division championships at this point.

Wisconsin is going to indy for a 5th time, and osu is going for a 3rd time. Msu has gone 3 times, and psu, iowa, and nebraska have all been once. I'd be happy to just go to indy.

Bigly yuge:

Yeah I’m pissed, but even more pissed that osu is likely going to the playoffs with 2 losses while we land in the Holiday bowl. I just want to be good again sometime before I die. Seems like we’re cursed. No matter who our coach is or how highly rated our players are we just are incapable of success.

funkywolve:

Michigan hasn't beaten a team with a winning record this year.  They are 0-3.

maize-blue:

Next year...

M-Dog:

You said that last year...

erald01:

And the year before that

maize-blue:

I've actually said that since 2007. Ugh.

smwilliams:

More excuses. Oh Hill was out and that’s why we lost. Wisconsin was missing their two best receivers. The facts are that Harbaugh is 1-7 against ranked teams and 1-4 (soon to be 1-5) against the two States. They haven’t beaten a ranked opponent on the road in 11 years. We’re a better version of Nebraska but just gotdont realize it.

We are going to lose by 20+ next week.

And we’ll go into next year saying oh they were young, this is surely the year. And we’ll go 10-3 again. Might as well hire Bo Pelini at this point.

The Game

I can see a 48-0 ass whooping next week. Urban will run up the score.– Ty Butterfield

The Game

Maize and Bloop:

We will come out strong.  Get punched in the face.  Wilt.

stmccoy:

This is just depressing. I don't know if I can handle watching next week.

Barn Animal:

Next week’s game will be the first under Harbaugh that I think we have 0 chance at winning.

Bando Calrissian:

It's typical of the Michigan fanbase to assume that something magical happens for Ohio State when, really, that's not how this works. Clinging to miracles is all we do now. Just a bummer.

Nemesis:

Next week may be horrific.  Our defense will play well, but will give up at least 21 points to a strong OSU rushing and deep ball attack.  At the same time, our offense will have diffculty denting OSU's defense even if it fires on all cylinders.

OkinawaGoBlue:

Will give up 21 in first qtr

gremlin3:

Gonna be a lot of red in the stadium next week

The Delusional
Crazy.

Personally, I think Harbaugh has done a fantastic job coaching this team.– nappy18

Crisis Actor:

And we beat OSU by 14 with neutral refs.

Alumnus93:

But take a senior Peters and some real tackles, and this is a championship team.

Odadguy:

Schedule tougher if you go by brand names. What will the state of those teams be next year? No JT Barrett at OSU, ND won’t be the same, UW loses a lot of D starters. The only team that could be better is MSU. UM better. CFP or bust next year

matty blue:

Besides...WHO’S GOT IT BETTER THAN US/

Even today?

No. Freaking. Body.

Signs Of Intelligence

MGoStrength:

The problem with wanting to win the B1G by claim of looking at our recruiting is the team to our south.  They have continued to out-recruit us, some years by a wide margin and other years by a narrow margin, consistently for the last 20 years. 

[...]

I don't see what happened in the 90s happening again, so if that's your expectation you're setting yourself up for failure.  And, as long as they are in our division it's going to be a struggle to beat them.

Coldwater:

This is the harsh reality that Wolverine fans are facing. The fact that Harbaugh wasn’t the Savior that we had all hoped.

Losing

PREPARE YOUR SPHINCTERS, GENTLEMEN. THEY’RE GOING TO TAKE A FIRM POUNDING NEXT SATURDAY.– Perkis-Size-Me

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 46 Comments