College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

CFP Expansion? Yes. Automatic Qualifiers? No.

+1 HS
Yance's picture
December 6, 2016 at 3:19pm
40 Comments

There's been a lot of debate recently about whether or not the CFP should expand, and how far.  6? 8? I recently saw a graphic of what a 16 team playoff would look like that inspired this post. 

I am all for expansion of the CFP, but not at the expense of putting less emphasis on the regular season or conference championship weekend losing ALL of it's value...

Here's what I would propose:

Move to a 6 team playoff where 1 & 2 get a bye in the first round.  In that scenario, it would make the fight for the top two spots very interesting bc of the extra week off... very beneficial. It would also bolster the importance of a conference championship weekend that could essentially decide the fate of a bunch of teams. And keeping it compact, (as opposed to expanding out to 8) makes it far less likely that a bunch of teams with very similar resumes have an argument. The further out you go the more likely it is that teams have resumes that are almost indistinguishable

That being said, I'm also not a fan at all of automatic qualifiers. The top 6 teams decided upon by the committee would be fine. For example... In the B1G next year (or this year), we could likely have 3 of the top 6 teams in the country. I wouldn't want to exclude any of them because of an automatic qualifier where another conference champ gets in because they ran their conference but lost 2 OOC games, or had a really weak OOC schedule... Takes away from the importance of schedule strength and out of conference games...  I think the entire resume and final committee ranking should be the deciding factor, always, and we should push teams to schedule tough games!!

{MOD edit: Lots of discussion already happening in this morning's survey. This would've made for a great comment there rather than starting another CFP thread. http://www.elevenwarriors.com/polls/2016/12/should-the-ncaa-expand-the-p...

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 40 Comments