Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Music Thread 3.15.20: For the People

+13 HS
RBurgundy4's picture
March 15, 2020 at 1:16pm
132 Comments

Hi. With sports on hiatus at this time I figured the 11W Community could use a music thread to perhaps spark some discussion and whatnot. Presenting three different songs here, each with a funk/strut vibe, albeit each is quite different. Why funk? 'Cause that sh*t just feels good sometimes.

[Channels inner Jim Gaffigan] How in the heck is Led Zeppelin funky? Have you lost your mind? Nope. In fact, much of 1975's Physical Graffiti has kind of funk/strut thang going on with songs like Custard Pie,  Trampled Under Foot, The Wanton Song and The Rover. Personally, I'm very confident in calling PG a masterpiece and LZ's greatest work. If not, it's still my favorite. If we end up just joining hands, please be sure to wash thoroughly before and after.

Fast Facts: The Rover was originally recorded during the sessions for 1972's Houses of the Holy and somehow failed to make the cut. (Preposterous!). The Rover was never performed live in it's entirety, according to Wiki. 

Next up is a totally badass song from a great American rock and roll outfit, Clutch. Formed in the western part of Maryland, in the early 90's, Clutch is always evolving and creating interesting stuff without ever straying too far from their metal/blues/funk roots. They have 12 full length albums to their credit, as well as a ton of other live recordings and several EP's. Additionally, all four members record as an instrumental band under their alternate ego name, The Bakerton Group (though they haven't done that for a spell), and each also performs with a laundry list of side projects too numerous to name here. Oh yeah, they have their own record label too. Hard working dudes who love what they do. This is from 2009's Strange Cousins from the West. The ending of this one is sublime. Keep calm and carry on!

Fast Fact: John Cooper's Lucky Pig was at one time the creator and caretaker of music forums for all of us to enjoy. He was great at it and he's also a huge Clutch fan. So, here ya go, Coop. (Shoutout to Whoa Nellie, who also used to create some amazing music threads for all to enjoy, as well. Not a Clutch fan that I'm aware of, tho. Maybe next time, Nellie.)

Any lovers in the house? Gotchu covered. I first learned of Erykah Badu when she was a music guest on Chappelle's Show and have been a bit of a fan since that time. Her first album was relased back in '97 and she's gone silent since 2010, so it's a fairly small catalog. She has some controversial takes that have gotten her into hot water over the years, but her funk level is off the charts and that's really what matters here at this moment. Feel free to git wit your lover if you got one and enjoy.

Fast Fact: This is personal and I'm calling on the community for an assist. The bass line in this one is epic and silky. However, because this track was an unidentified bonus track I have been completely unable to find who is responsible for this beauty. Bass legend Pino Palladino has worked with EB in the past and I'd like to think it's his work, but I can't prove it. Help me out here, please. Either way, I may do something on PP at another time. 

That's all I got. Keep clean, and keep it funky during these trying times. Don't forget to smile from time to time.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 132 Comments