Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

2021 Depth Chart

+6 HS
chefjoey's picture
January 30, 2020 at 11:47am
42 Comments

I think an interesting topic for conversation is the 2021 Depth Chart...

Here are the starters who will be leaving this year

• QB Justin Fields*
  • WR Chris Olave*
  • TE Luke Farrell
  • OL Thayer Munford
  • OL Wyatt Davis*
  • OL Josh Meyers*
  • DE Jonathan Cooper
  • LB Baron Browning
  • LB Pete Werner
  • LB Tuf Borland
  • CB Shaun Wade*

*predicting an early departure to NFL 

Here are Possible NFL Departures

• DE Tyreke Smith
  • DT Taron Vincent
  • S Josh Proctor

Assuming all three of the Possible NFL Departures return, we still lose 11 starters. Where my concern comes in is with the offense. We will be starting a RS Freshman / True Sophomore QB that loses 3 All-American level OL, it's best WR, and best blocking TE. Having Wilson and Williams return (assuming both start at WR) will be helpful, but I have questions about whether either QB will be able to help in the run game (is Teague going to be enough?)

On defense, the entire LB core will be new, the DL should be solid, but Harrison will need to emerge, and at CB I'm not sure Brown/Banks will have the talent that Wade/Okaduh brought (both 5 star recruits).

Now, this isn't a the-sky-is-falling post, but rather food for thought. The biggest question marks heading in 2020 (CB depth, replacing Chase Young, questions at WR/RB) are going to be essential pieces to keep the 2021 season intact. 

In my opinion, this is a HUGE year for Ryan Day and where Buckeye Nation will finally see what we have in our coach. If we hit on all of the question marks in 2020, 2021 can shape out nicely. If there are big misses in 2020 at key positions, 2021 might be tougher than I initially thought.

What do you think? Anyone I am missing? What do you hope to see in 2020 that can carry into 2021? 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 42 Comments