Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Christmas and Relative's Issues....oh the Humanity.

+6 HS
Leonhard's picture
December 23, 2018 at 2:33pm
18 Comments

My parents were supposed to visit over Christmas.  It is very stressful when they come.  They are in their mid 80's.  Our house is not "elderly age friendly".  So they struggle with that.  They can't operate like they used too. They try, but them attempting to help is more or a hindrance.  What takes me 12 minutes takes them 1 1/2 hrs.  Additionally, My wife doesn't particularly care for them.  It's a socio-economic , personality difference thing. And they come every year because I'm the only kid that has younger grandkids.  They called yesterday morning, and they are having medical issues that preclude them from coming.  

As much of a stress factor as it is when they come, I'm bothered by the fact that they can't make it, because of why they can't make it.  Maybe it's the last Christmas.  The medical issues don't sound good.  So I was nervous about mentioning to my wife that one kid and I make a surprise visit on Christmas Eve day, bring them all the gifts that were waiting at our house, so they have something at Christmas, and we get back mid afternoon on Christmas Day.  Parents live about 5 hrs away, and I'm by far the closest offspring, by far.  If it's my wife's idea, it's a great idea.  If it's my idea, it sucks, even though it's the same idea. Ironically, she had a similar thought. That worked out well.  It was a slightly different idea, but it was close enough.  So one kid and I are surprising my parents tomorrow.

So on my wife's side of the family, Christmas is now being held late on Christmas Day, so we can get back home.  Some of her side of the family are not happy, at all.  I said, don't hold it back for me.  My thoughts were, doing it this way, my wife gets to spend Christmas with her family, I do what I need to do for my parents to be morally supportive, and I'm still home for Christmas, just a smidge late.  Nope, that's good enough.

Although this particular situation is way different than in years past, it's always something at the holidays and relatives, every year.  Half the family says they are taking vacation at Christmas next year so we "don't have to do this again".....every past year.  This year's issues pale in comparison to prior years.  But it's always something.  I'm not looking for suggestions. I'm good with the direction we are taking.  A few more Christmas Ale's and I'll be really good. I'm throwing this out there for anyone to open up and share their holiday relative stories.  I hope they are all good.  But history tells me, when dealing with relatives, holidays are many times too stressful.  Please share your own personal thoughts on holiday/relatives stories.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 18 Comments