Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

The abomination of overpriced rice burritos is reaping what it sowed...Chipotle issue gaining steam

+5 HS
Dillon G's picture
December 23, 2015 at 9:20pm
194 Comments

http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2015-chipotle-food-safety-crisis/

Like I said, I wrongly assumed back in 2000 why they hell would this garbage catch on. I guess it goes without saying that youth are easy to fool with marketing.

For a long time, smug worked pretty well for Chipotle Mexican Grill. It’s grown into a chain of more than 1,900 locations, thanks in part to marketing—including short animated films about the evils of industrial agriculture—that reminds customers that its fresh ingredients and naturally raised meat are better than rivals’ and better for the world. The implication: If you eat Chipotle, you’re doing the right thing, and maybe you’re better, too. It helped the company, charging about $7 for a burrito, reach a market valuation of nearly $24 billion. Its executives seemed to have done the impossible and made a national fast-food chain feel healthy.

Fewer people associate Chipotle with “healthy” now. Three months before Collins was infected with E. coli, five people fell ill eating at a Seattle-area restaurant. By the time local health officials had confirmed a link, the outbreak was over, so no one said anything. In August, 234 customers and employees contracted norovirus at a Chipotle in Simi Valley, Calif., where another worker was infected. Salmonella-tainted tomatoes at 22 outlets in Minnesota sickened 64 people in August and September; nine had to be hospitalized. Norovirus struck again in late November: More than 140 Boston College students picked up the highly contagious virus from a nearby Chipotle, including half of the men’s basketball team.

It seems many of you love it and will continue to eat it. Hell, I still occasionally go to McDonalds so the girls can get Chicken McNugget Happy Meals. But they are 4 and 8.  

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 194 Comments