So, the Ghostbusters thread got me thinking. Are there any good Hollywood remakes? So, what the hell, the off-season is dark and full of terrors. Here's my list:
- The Fly - David Cronenberg. In my book, the only movie on the list which is simply better than the original. When the movie's over I'm always happy for my human flesh.
- The Thing - John Carpenter. One of the movies that I'll watch any time it's on TV. Carpenter takes Hawk's cheesy broccoli man, and turns it into an amorphous terror that lurks in us all. Also one of the greatest scenes in any horror movie ever.
- True Grit - The Coen Brothers. Still like John Wayne better, but the Dude does a pretty good job as the one-eyed fat man.
- Scarface - Brian DePalma. The second Howard Hawks remake on my list. It helps if you start with something good. Probably the one that looks the least like its source material, but still recognizable as a story of the rise and fall of a gangster.
5. Cape Fear - Martin Scorsese. Robert DeNiro is a bad man.