Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

703Buckeye: The Soccer/Futbol Fan

0 HS
703Buckeye's picture
June 29, 2014 at 2:58pm
19 Comments

On today's (6/29) World Cup Open Thread, an upset Mexican fan started a rant about his fanhood and how "90 percent" of fans, like me, will be gone after this month. I was going to write a response in that thread but it would have gone too far off-topic. I will just share the response here...

bucknutfern4, I'll be completely up front with you. I was the kid who was too slow/big to be any good at soccer and therefore did not follow it with the same attention and passion as you may have. I made my career playing football in high school and college; it's what I'm truly knowledgeable and passionate about.

However, I do enjoy following soccer during major tournaments like the World Cup and Olympics; I enjoy cheering for my country, I don't think that's such a bad thing. To keep things relevant to this site, there are many OSU football fans who don't show themselves outside of bowl season or the M!chigan game. I may know more about OSU football than them because I follow the team year-round, but that does not make me any more of a "fan" than they are. As a matter of fact, I welcome those fans whenever they do come around. The only time fans annoy me is when they switch allegiances on a whim to whoever is winning at the time.

Feel free to share your thoughts, feelings, criticisms, etc.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 19 Comments