Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Aging Whiskey

0 HS
KevinJ's picture
April 24, 2014 at 10:53am
4 Comments

Since it is so hard to find a good wheated bourbon for a realistic price, I can't even find W.L.Weller 12yr anymore. I'm not paying $120+ for Jefferson's Presidential or the crazy $$$ the Van Winkle bourbons go for. I'm not a collector, I'm a drinker, and most of my go to Bourbon's and Rye's run between $25-$45. Once in a while I'll splurge and pickup something like Noah Mills, Bookers, or High West.

I decided to purchase a 2ltr oak barrel from http://oakbarrelsltd.com and fill it up with Weller Antique 107, my reasoning for using the Antique is it is relatively cheap and I do like the taste for the most part more so than Makers Mark. It is a bit overly sweet, and the finish falls off a cliff, but does a very good job of hiding it's proof on the nose and palate. From what I've read the Weller's line is suppose to use the same mash bill as the Van Winkle line.

I have filled up 2oz test bottles with what was left over so I can taste the difference and top the barrel off periodically due to evaporation (angles share). My plan right now is to let it age 3 to 6 months but I may let it go longer. I'll take a sample in 6 weeks to see how things are progressing.

I credit Hudson Whiskey for giving me the idea, they age their whiskeys in smaller barrels so the whiskey matures faster. I'm hoping the process will tone down the sweetness give it a bit more complexity and help the whiskey develop a mid to long finish.

I will update this thread from time to time to let those who are interested know how things are progressing.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 4 Comments