The Memorial Tournament was expected to mark a return to some semblance of normalcy as the first major sporting event in the state of Ohio with spectators in attendance, but that will no longer be the case.
The central Ohio tournament announced on Monday that it will no longer allow fans onsite due to the "rapidly changing dynamics of the COVID-19 pandemic." The decision was made in conjunction with the PGA Tour and Nationwide, the event's sponsor.
“We applaud the leadership, diligence and partnership it took from Jack Nicklaus, Dan Sullivan, the entire Memorial Tournament staff and State, County and City leadership to build a solid plan that would allow for limited fan attendance at next week’s event,” said PGA TOUR Commissioner Jay Monahan. “But given the broader challenges communities are facing due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, we need to stay focused on the No. 1 priority for our Return to Golf — the health and safety of all involved."
The event had previously announced state approval for limited fan attendance and a robust health and safety plan.
While this was a difficult decision, it was one made collectively, and we are appreciative of the process undertaken to this point that will allow us to welcome on-site fans when the time is right," Monahan said. "In the meantime, we have no doubt that the Memorial Tournament will once again be an incredible championship and deliver the best competitive environment for our players and utmost entertainment to our fans around the world.”
Though there will not be fans in attendance, the 45th edition of the Memorial Tournament will still go on in Dublin from July 14-19.