Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

2016 Tailgate Fare - Week 7

+11 HS
BUCKEYE3M's picture
October 13, 2016 at 12:12pm
74 Comments

A trip to Madison for a night banger is upon us.  Personally, I can’t wait to watch a bunch of crazy cheese heads jump around and get Camp Randall rocking, because in the end, I believe it will be all for naught.  But, Camp Randall is one of the best atmospheres in college football, so it will be fun to watch the game. The Buckeyes win a good game, pulling away in the second half, because well, they’re just so damn fast.  Unlike cheese, which is gooey, slow, but also delicious. 

Needless to say, a visit to Wisconsin inspired me to seek a solid cheese based recipe to share.  And, cheese makes a killer dip.  This recipe makes an incredible dish that I am absolutely certain your friends will love – and the name will make you giggle.

Hot Sausage Cheese Dip

INGREDIENTS

1 pound ground hot pork sausage
1 (10-ounce) can diced tomato and green chiles (Rotel)
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cup (6 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
Fritos Scoops

DIRECTIONS

• Cook sausage in a large skillet, stirring until meat crumbles and is no longer pink; drain well.
  • Drain diced tomato and green chiles, reserving 1/4 cup liquid.
  • Stir together sausage, diced tomato and green chiles, reserved liquid, ½ cup of cheddar cheese, and cream cheese. Allow the cream cheese and cheddar to break down and mix together.
  • Spoon into a lightly greased 1-quart baking dish; sprinkle with remaining Cheddar cheese.
  • Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly.
  • Serve with Fritos Scoops.

PRO TIPS

• The original recipe called for ¾ cup of sharp cheddar, but it was too thin when I was mixing it, so I followed a tip I’d received and added more cheddar. 
  • Instead of draining the liquid from the Rotel and saving ¼ cup, just dump the entire can in.
  • You can bake the leftovers the following day and serve with eggs for brunch.
  • You need some hearty chips to be able to handle this dip, but tortilla chips work also.
  • I hope everyone enjoys these, and has a great weekend.  As always, sharing a recipe of your own below is always encouraged.

Previous Editions:
Week 1 - Cucumber Spaghetti Salad
Week 2 - Hurricanes
Week 3 - BBQ Chicken Burgers
Week 4 – Macaroni Salad & Deviled Eggs
Week 5 – BBQ Baked Beans
Week 6 - Crescent Roll Jalapeño Poppers

2015 Tailgate Fare

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 74 Comments