Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

2016 Tailgate Fare Week 5

+3 HS
BUCKEYE3M's picture
September 29, 2016 at 11:01am
83 Comments

Conference play is upon us, and like last year at this time, I think we’re in for a light snack Saturday.  Hopefully, we don’t end up in an all-out scrum with Rutgers.  I know you’re laughing, but no one thought Indiana would be taking four shots in the end zone to possibly force overtime last year either.  However, I remain confident that our boys will be focused and sharp for the noon banger in The Shoe.

Now, down to business.  I really wanted a good BBQ recipe for the Oklahoma game, and I shared the most unique one I already had, which I thought would have the most appeal.  But, as I scoured the interwebs, I found one I really liked. The only trouble was, it is time consuming, which is to say the cook time is long. (The prep time is totally manageable.)  And, I wanted to be able to make it myself before I shared the recipe.  I paired these with a smoked pork tenderloin, which I injected with apple juice, then smoked in Applewood.  It is likely the best thing I’ve ever smoked, and it was a spectacular partner for this delicious dish, Bourbon Baked Beans.

Crockpot Bacon Bourbon Baked Beans

INGREDIENTS

Serves at least 6-8

1 pound dry navy beans
10 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into pieces
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups water
3/4 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce
1 cup loosely packed brown sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons molasses
1 cup bourbon
1 1/2 tablespoons ground mustard
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

DIRECTIONS

• The night before, add beans to a large pot and cover with water. Drain the next morning.
  • Bring beans to a boil in a large pot of water, let simmer for 30-40 minutes, then drain.
  • While beans are cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat and add bacon.
  • Cook until crispy and fat is rendered, then remove bacon with a slotted spoon and let drain on a paper towel.
  • Reduce heat to medium-low and add onion, cooking for 8-10 minutes, until caramely and soft.
  • Add in garlic, cook for 30 seconds, then turn off heat.
  • Add water, bourbon, brown sugar, BBQ sauce, ketchup, ground mustard, vinegar, molasses and Worcestershire sauce to the crockpot and whisk well to combine.
  • Add in beans, onions (and all of the bacon fat) and bacon to the crockpot.
  • Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours, stirring occasionally.
  • After 10-12 hours, turn crockpot to “warm” setting or turn off completely and let sit anywhere from 30 minutes-2 hours, which will help the sauce for the beans thicken even more.

Note: after 10-12 hours the liquid may still seem “liquidy.” It is imperative to let the beans sit for a while on the lower setting (or on the off setting, still covered) so they become thick and syrupy like traditional baked beans.

PRO TIPS

• I bought a pack of thick cut bacon with 13 slices and used all of it, because bacon. I then cut the bacon into pieces no longer than one inch with meat shears.
  • Crock pot liners.  Buy them now, thank me later.
  • I used Knob Creek bourbon and Sweet Baby Ray's original BBQ sauce.
  • I always strive for the median time when I’m preparing a recipe for the first time, so I intended to cook them for 11 hours, but ended up turning them off at 10 hours.  This is the one thing that I would check, because crock pots do vary.

These taste even better the next day!

As a courtesy, I’d like to inform you that next week’s edition will come to you Wednesday afternoon, as I’m going to be out of the loop all day Thursday.

I hope everyone enjoys these, and has a great weekend.  As always, sharing a recipe of your own below is always encouraged.

Previous Editions:
Week 1 - Cucumber Spaghetti Salad
Week 2 - Hurricanes
Week 3 - BBQ Chicken Burgers
Week 4 – Macaroni Salad & Deviled Eggs

2015 Tailgate Fare

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 83 Comments