Our honor defend, we will fight to the end for O-Hi-O
I don't take this last line of the Buckeye Battle Cry lightly.
I figure I am going to make some people a little upset on this whole 11W thing, but I gotta be honest. I am sure I will get some down votes here....I have built up enough, so I will probably survive to live another day if I get crushed. I am a Buckeye, so I can take it.
Why does everyone else hate tOSU fans so much?
I think I have the answer! and some of you aren't going to like it.
Michigan fans: Arrogant asses. They always go on and on about how they have more wins than anyone. Their view of their place in college football is overstated, and because they are a pretty awesome academic institution, they can say with great assurance that they are one of the few schools that has awesome academics, and a very good athletic program. We hate them, but we should respect them, for without them, we don't have us. They are the darkness to our light (we are the darkness to their light...and we must understand this). Michigan fans don't give a crap what anyone thinks about them...they are Michigan! fer christsakes.
Michigan State fans: little brother. They aren't little brother because they aren't as good as Michigan. They are little brother because no matter how good they get at anything, they always get compared to michigan! and they are always whining about it. Even during their proudest moment on Saturday night, Facebook was abound with spartan posts about how MSU did what Michigan couldn't. Beat us. Even the newspapers here devote prime real estate to Michigan. MSU fans have a giant chip on their shoulder.
tOSU Fans: We are loyal to our team, and loyal to our people. Our biggest failing is that we are loud and obnoxious. We sometimes believe that we are the best at everything. Not all of us, but a lot of us. Even I get caught up in this. We also have a way of justifying every bad action by our heroes with some excuse.
And we aren't perfect. Nobody is.
But that doesn't stop us from harassing everyone who disagrees with that notion. We have no problem claiming that the world is out to get us. We don't see the lunacy in thinking that everyone is there to keep us down...which then becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Everyone's hate for us leads to them dismissing us. People hate us because we are so vocal about people hating us. People also hate us because we allow obnoxious boars to act like animals.
Don't believe me?
1. Woody Hayes. Great coach. Great teacher. He did amazing things. It is right to celebrate him. Except for the fact that he failed on the largest stage in front of an enormous audience. We celebrate him for all that is good. I know this is going to sting, but the narrative around the world is different than the one we claim. You will see the video of the Clemson gator bowl 100 times in the next couple of weeks. And some buckeye fans will celebrate this....Woody Hayes was rightly embarrassed by his actions.
2. We celebrated Mr. Hall's salute to the world a week ago. Buckeye nation wore that as a badge of honor. In my opinion, Urbs did the right thing by punishing him. I am also happy that Hall seems apologetic. This isn't a joke.
The game day guys were right. I am a dad of a 9 and 11 year old. If they did that, there would be hell to pay. As a coach of youth baseball, I would never remotely accept this behavior. I am not sure why we, as a buckeye community would as well. This not an honorable activity my any stretch of the imagination.
3. CERTAIN tOSU fans in Columbus are the most unwelcoming group of SOBs in the B1G. We have all seen it (and if you claim you haven't then you are lying to yourself). TOSU is universally known for having groups of fans who harass the opposing team and fans. As a Michigander who travels to Ohio, I have a fear that my car will get keyed and damaged, so much so that whenever I travel down there, I put my OSU flag in my window.
I have been to games elsewhere that have nothing to do with tOSU. Nebraska fans don't act like a-holes? Neither do Wolverine fans. At the MSU / Michigan games they never have the BS that we get.
In fact this idiocy isn't just in the real world, we do it online too. We routinely tweet crap all over, whining all the time about everyone who we believe has slighted us.
Am I a Benedict Arnold? Am I a pussy? No. I am a dad, who wants my children to be Buckeyes and to respect and be respected. I cannot and will not cheer for activities that are contrary to my morals, AND I WILL NO LONGER MAKE APOLOGIES FOR FANS OR REPRESENTATIVE OF THE UNIVERSITY WHO DON'T HONOR THE UNIVERSITY.
At the game a 35 year old drunk tOSU fan in front of me thought it was appropriate to strike up a conversation with my 11 year old. After a while, I had to ask him to turn around. It was creepy. By the 4th quarter, he fell asleep in his chair.
At the same time, a 40 something tOSU fan who was at the game with his 6 year old son was swearing up a storm 3 rows behind me. Buckeye fans were cheering him on, and it seemed that nobody was even phased.
Our fanbase can't be unique here, can it? While other schools have fanbases that act like this, it seems like ours embraces this. MSU fans at the game couldn't have been more respectful...at least in my section (they waited until they got home to burn the couches)
So here is the question that I asked myself on the drive home from Indianapolis. Are buckeyes better than anyone else? What makes us unique. Nothing. Sorry to burst all of your bubbles, but there is nothing unique about us.
1. Some of you were born in Ohio, which made going to Ohio State an attractive option
2. Some of you had parents who were Buckeyes, which made your choice of Ohio State attractive.
3. Some of you chose tOSU because you couldn't get into another school
4. Some of you liked the education that tOSU offered.
5. You didn't go to school there, but love the football team (or basketball team)
Whatever the case, these are not unique, and any school can claim this.
I loved my time at tOSU. I learned a lot there, both academically and non academically. I am a Buckeye for life.
Unfortunately until this absurd behavior and unreasonable reaction to any criticism changes, our perception and our brand will be forever tarnished.
This rant comes from the heart. I know that the offenders are the minority, but I believe that we as buckeyes should defend what is right, and call out what is wrong in our fanbase.