Site Stuff Forum

Let's get meta.

First Day on the Job (New Staff Member)

0 HS
Griffin Strom's picture
August 23, 2021 at 8:50am
72 Comments

Hey everybody,

Griffin Strom here, and I'm thrilled to say that I'm joining the team today as a beat reporter covering Buckeye hoops and football. The beat is nothing new for me though, as this will be my fourth year covering Ohio State sports in some capacity, and my third season cycle on the football and basketball beat.

I'm from Bexley, Ohio, graduated high school in 2016 and then got a journalism degree at Ohio State – graduating in 2020. Needless to say, I have spent my entire life watching Buckeye sports, with one of my earliest memories in general being a house party my parents threw for the 2003 national championship game.

Growing up I frequented the fairgrounds to watch the likes of Jared Sullinger play high school ball, would often run into Satch Sullinger at the Bexley Starbucks, and even once tried out for the same travel team as Seth Towns. And no, I didn't make that team. I could say I was named after Archie Griffin, but that probably wouldn't – strictly speaking – be true.

I started taking journalism classes at Ohio State as a junior during the 2018-19 year, and by May 2019, I became the Sports Editor at The Lantern. Of course, the end of my senior year coincided with the rise of COVID-19, but I was lucky enough to get a full-time job as a team writer for BuckeyeGrove before the end of May 2020.

That's where I've been up until now, but now I have the pleasure of continuing to cover the Buckeyes for you all.

I just missed Colin in the journalism program at Ohio State, as I was just getting into it while he was starting his job here, but I got to see him work from afar for the last couple years and know he did an amazing job. I always admired his work, and I will aim to fill his shoes as best I can.

Can't wait to get started today as I'm looking forward to getting acclimated to everything, and I want to thank Jason so much for the opportunity!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 72 Comments