Site Stuff Forum

Site Stuff Forum

Let's get meta.

Ad that autoruns video is really dragging down mobile site speed

+14 HS
BornAndBredABuck's picture
April 4, 2017 at 12:13pm
28 Comments

Hello, 11W! Long time reader, first ever topic post (and, unfortunately, it's a complaint-- sorry!) I don't know if this is the proper way to address this issue, but I don't see another route. Sometime in the recent past, a series of ads from some group using a sideways red triangle w/a black slash as its logo began appearing on the mobile site. On both Firefox and Chrome, this ad autoruns a video (most recently from Work.com) regardless of my browser settings. The video is apparently very data-intensive and it is seriously dragging down the speed of the mobile site. It is also very annoying in that it is completely ignoring my settings, which usually causes me to stop visiting the hosting website, which I don't want to do here. No other ad on the site behaves this way. If I sit and wait for a while until I can scroll down a given page to close the ad (it does provide a handy option to close the window), the page speeds right back up again. However, since the ad loads slowly and appears on every single 11W page (and reappears when I switch back and forth from one page to another), that means I literally spend as much time waiting for and then futzing around with the ad as I get to spend enjoying the site. That's a very bad ratio. Am I the only one experiencing this problem? If so, someone please let me know what I can do to eliminate it. I don't know if the site admins have any level of control over whether this particular ad appears on the site, but it is really interfering with the mobile experience and I'd like to vote for its removal if possible. Thanks!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 28 Comments