Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

The 1968 Season /// Game 9 /// The Game /// 11.23.1968

Matt Gutridge's picture
November 23, 2018 at 6:31pm
4 Comments

50 years ago, Ohio State and the Super Sophs went undefeated and claimed the program's fifth National Championship. This weekly series will give a glimpse back to that magical season using the post-game pictures and articles from The Columbus Dispatch.

Mission Accomplished
Goal Posts Down
GOAL POSTS COME DOWN --- It was Christmas, the 4th of July and graduation day all wrapped into one Saturday at Ohio Stadium. The Ohio State Buckeyes obliterated Michigan 50-14 to win the Big Ten title, cap an unbeaten, untied season and qualify for a New Year's Day date in the Rose Bowl. The Bucks' bowl opponent will be the nation's number-one ranked team, Southern California. Ohio State is ranked number two, but in Buckeye Land it's definitely number one. That number one fever is seen above as Buckeye fans tear down the goal posts at the end of the north end of the stadium. Other rooters, including Columbus police and State Highway Patrolmen, look on. Fans later carried pieces of the goal posts to Downtown Columbus and the Statehouse.

With an undefeated season and Big Ten title on the line, Ohio State hosted No. 4 Michigan on November 23, 1968. The Wolverines came to Columbus with an eight-game winning streak and a chance to steal the Rose Bowl berth and Big Ten title away from the Buckeyes.

On this 55-degree day, Michigan won the toss and chose to receive. The Wolverines made the record crowd of 85,371 nervous when they methodically marched 84 yards in 17 plays to take a 7-0 lead. Concerning for Ohio State's defense was that 15 of Michigan's 17 plays were runs.

The fears turned out to be unfounded as the Buckeyes responded and secured one of the more lopsided wins in The Game.

Following the game, Michigan head coach Bump Elliott said, "They (the Bucks) will represent the Big 10 well. They're a great team." When asked if he felt Ohio State played its best game, Elliott replied, "If they could play better than that (50-14), they're really a super team."

"We expected them to be tough on defense, and they were. Take a look at their offensive line and you've got to respect them. They're awfully strong." When asked if he thought Woody Hayes poured it on, Elliott was quick to retort "I didn't think he poured it on. In a ball game like that he is playing to win. No, I didn't think he poured it on."

Ohio State's statistician made this observation of the final score.

Michigan
Michigan
Largest Crowd Ever
LARGEST CROWD EVER IN OHIO STADIUM WATCHES OSU SMASH MICHIGAN
It was the largest crowd ever in Ohio Stadium Stadium, and they smelled roses. The 85,371 saw the Buckeyes trounce Michigan 50-14 and win a New Year's Day date in the Rose Bowl vs. Southern California. Above, the camera sweeps the crowd from the south end of the stadium as the honor guard raises the flag prior to kickoff. At the north end of the field is the Block Ohio card section spelling out "OHIO."
Michigan
Michigan
Otis
RECORD 'LIFTED' --- Fullback Jim Otis crashed the Ohio State record books Saturday by scoring his 16th touchdown of the season in a 50-14 Big 10 championship-Rose Bowl showdown against Michigan in Ohio Stadium. That eclipsed the former mark set by All-American Howard Cassady in 1955 by one. Otis was happy about it, but apparently so was teammate Dave Cheney, who gave him a lift, as the picture shows.
Michigan
Stats
Stats
Victory Smiles
VICTORY SMILES --- IShaper of Ohio State's 50-14 victory over Michigan Saturday, good for the Big Ten title and Rose Bowl berth, were these five happy warriors. From left, quarterback Rex Kern, halfback Larry Zelina, fullback Jim Otis and tackles Rufus Mayes and Dave Foley.
Woody's Post Game Quotes
  • "The best victory we ever had...this is a good football team, and we played a good football team...we beat the No. 4 team so convincingly, I believe we deserve to be rated No. 1 now...a great victory wasn't it?"

Hayes taking in his feelings and thoughts from the 50-14 trouncing of his rival. He did so while holding a single rose and a cup of ice.

• "This was a little more decisive than our (championship) wins over Michigan in '54 and '61. Besides, the '61 win didn't take us anywhere. All of our kids played real good football. What has happened before is that the offense would have a good day and the defense would stutter around some...then, another game, it would be the other way around. We said that if they ever put it together...both played well the same day...we would have something. That was it."

Woody comparing today's win to those of the past and how his team responded. Hayes went on to talk about what he thought the turning point of the game was.

• "The turning point came when it was tied 14-all and Larry Zelina made that fine (59-yard) kickoff runback...the officials played 'drop the hanky' (on a clipping penalty) and we still drove down the field to score before halftime. I told Rex Kern before he went out on the field not to worry about the penalty...that we had time to go all the way...to play straight football and not worry about it."

Ohio State scored and took the 21-14 lead into the half.

• "He said, 'I can get it for you,' when we were bogged down going for the last touchdown. We did want to get to 50 points...not exactly to running the score up, but I don't feel comfortable these days without 50 points. Teams are explosive on offense, it's unbelievable how they can come back."

Woody responding to Jim Otis' dad, Dr. James Otis, who shouted his congratulations to Ohio State's coach during the conference. The elder Otis was Hayes' college roommate at Denison. 

Later, Hayes shared his two regrets of this game, that President-elect Nixon could not attend and that he was not aware that astronaut Donn Eisele was seated behind the Ohio State bench.

•  "He (Nixon) saw us beat Iowa for the title in 1957. This time we saved six tickets for him right up to the last minute. He made a mistake not being here today." Hayes then transitioned to the astronaut, "Shoot, shoot, shoot. I would have given anything to have had him in the dressing room."
  • "I doubt I would have put Otis in for the last touchdown if I had been aware the score would break a (team) record held by Howard Cassady."

When asked about why he went for two after the last touchdown:

• "Because our center (John Muhlbach) was hurt and our kicker (Jim Roman) had no center."

Woody ended his post-game conference with this:

• "That really was a great victory, wasn't it?"
We Don't Give A Damn...
WE DON'T --- The Ohio Stadium crowd of 85,371 and even the buildings on the Ohio State campus displayed the spirit that captured Columbus as the unbeaten Buckeyes won the Big 10 championship with a 50-14 triumph over arch rival Michigan. While Ohio State cheerleaders and a huge Buckeye join with the crowd in the south bleachers in a cheer, a giant sign on a dormitory tower southwest of the stadium proclaims, "We don't give a damn for the whole state of Michigan." The stadium blocks out part of the sign.

ICYMI
Week 1: SMU
Week 2: Oregon
Week 3: No. 1 Purdue
Week 4: Northwestern
Week 5: Illinois
Week 6: Michigan State
Week 7: Wisconsin
Week 8: Iowa

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 4 Comments