Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Saints, Buckeyes, and Rooting for an NFL Team vs a College Football Team

0 HS
Sonof'47alum's picture
January 6, 2020 at 9:54pm
23 Comments

First, let me express my empathy for Saints fans today.  I have been following them on some level the past three years because of their Buckeye alums.  

And, I have to say, that is a very rough ending three years in a row to three successful regular seasons—with legitimate hopes of winning a Super Bowl.

That got me to thinking: is it ultimately possibly less satisfying being a diehard fan of a top NFL team such as the Saints than being a diehard fan of a powerhouse college team such as Ohio State?

By that, I mean—as one example—is there anything even remotely close in the NFL to a college rivalry game victory such as a win in The Game that gives you immense satisfaction as a fan (including even wanting to watch replays of highlights or portions of the game)? 

As another example, is there anything that provides the level of excitement and satisfaction of seeing your team win the college conference title such as the B1G Championship Game?  I find it hard to believe winning the Division title would equal that kind of high (unless maybe you’re a Jets fan I suppose),

Finally, there are the Bowl games.  I know we all had hopes for a possible Natty in 2017 and 2018 and many were disappointed not to see Ohio State in the CFP those years; on the other hand, I, for one, got a lot of pleasure seeing Ohio State beat historical rival USC in the Cotton Bowl and win the Rose Bowl last year.  Those two Bowl wins both ended the respective years on a high note.

But Saints fans have been left feeling seemingly completely empty at the end of each of the past three seasons.  It seems more like a Super Bowl title or bust kind of feeling.  Am I wrong about that?  Again, my sympathies.  I really wanted to see Can’tGuardMike and his fellow Buckeye alums take it all this year.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 23 Comments