Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

OSU football and basketball recruiting fan talk.

Re: the Paris Johnson Situation

+7 HS
RunEddieRun1983's picture
July 3, 2019 at 8:42am
37 Comments

I've been reading Johnson's comments on his decision to, well it appears he has anyway, reaffirm his commitment to Ohio State.

I think him committing to the program, the school, the culture, all of that, pretty awesome to read. His comment of originally committing to Urban Meyer had me thinking.

Urban leaves, PJ visits some SEC schools, notably Georgia and LSU, comes back to OSU, acquaints himself further with coach Day and his staff (both new and retained), his close friend commits (BOOM), and he's come to the realization that Ohio State is the place to be.

I have nothing to back up what I'm about to say, but to me it makes sense. He goes to Georgia where Kirby Smart is the head coach. In my opinion, Smart is the next guy up after Nick Saban leaves Alabama, and I think Saban could decide to leave Alabama at any point. What else does he have left to do as a D1 coach? I'm not saying he leaves for a different job, or for the NFL. The guy has cemented his legacy (whether we like it or not), his seat obviously isn't hot, but he could wake up one day and decide it's time to move on. 

Beyond smart, who does UGA have in the wings to replace him? That's the unknown element. At Ohio State if Urban Meyer leaves he's got a guy identified that has been here for a couple years that can take over, and theoretically the program should thrive as it has since Meyer got here. That element at UGA isn't spelled out in black and white. If Smart leaves there's a good chance their athletic department has to start from scratch with a new coach and new staff/support staff.

Same at LSU. Orgeron got LUCKY, let me say that again, he was DAMN LUCKY that Joe Burrow made his way down there and gave them some stability at quarterback that they haven't had in what seems like forever. Without Burrow, LSU is probably starting over at HC this year, and we know for damn sure they don't have the next guy waiting in the wings because if they did he probably would've replaced Orgeron already.

Not to mention, in my humble and potentially scarlet covered glasses sense of opinion, Ohio State is a job that attracts a somewhat higher degree of a coach.

Summation? PJ saw what Ohio State had in Urban Meyer and that made him commit, then when Urbz retired he saw the stability that resonated throughout the program, looked at UGA and LSU and realized their stability beyond who is in place now isn't as clearly spelled out as the Buckeyes, coupling that with his good friend pulling the trigger, he knows where home is. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 37 Comments