Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

OSU football and basketball recruiting fan talk.

What is Happening to All the Ohio HS Talent (recruiting Rankings)

+3 HS
mittenst8buck's picture
January 10, 2018 at 10:06pm
85 Comments

I was just looking ahead to the recruiting top 300 for 2019 and 2020 (the latter being a long ways off) and I just can’t help but notice the lack of Ohio 4* & 5 * guys. It just boggles my mind because only 14 years ago when I was playing football in this great state we were stacked with talent across the board. I can rattle off numerous guys I played against who made it to the NFL and even was on a team with one.

Currently for 2019 Ohio has thirteen 4 and 5 Star guys while Louisiana has 13 and also Alabama has 10 and they have less than half the population of Ohio. Georgia has 41 guys that are 4 or 5 stars but is approximately the same size as Ohio regards to population (even a couple million less). 

The numbers look even worse for 2020 where Ohio has 1 recruit in the top 300 where Georgia has 13, Alabama 3 and Louisiana 4.

I realize we recruit nationally right now with Meyer here but it makes me nervous for what happens after he is gone. I feel like we used to be able to rely on in state recruits but now that talent pool seems to be drying up. I purposely kept Florida, Texas and CA out of the equation because they have in my life always had way more recruits than Ohio. It seems though now that we are really lagging the south and I can’t figure out why that may be especially since we have such a large population here. Does anyone have any thoughts on why the numbers seem so poor as of late? Why the south has so much talent, especially when we outnumber the smaller states by so much?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 85 Comments