Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

OSU football and basketball recruiting fan talk.

Brenton Cox - UGA "gaining Ground" on OSU

+3 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture
November 27, 2017 at 11:45am
48 Comments

Not trying to start hysteria over the decision of a teenager, but found this article interesting. It's written by a pro-UGA site, so take it for what it's worth. Birm mentioned it earlier, and I thought it worthy of bringing to 11W readers' attention. The Bulldogs are not giving up the pursuit of a national top 20 prospect who is from their backyard. In fact, they are closing the gap. Some highlights from the interview include the following quotes from Cox (who has been a solid OSU Verbal for over 7 months).

Asked if there's "anything to" the UGA visits:

“I don’t know,” Cox said. “I can’t even really say that right now. There is something to it, though. I like the people at Georgia. It is going to be my decision at the end of the day whether I go to Georgia or Ohio State. But right now, it is still Ohio State.”

What was the deciding factor in committing to the good guys?

“Coach Larry Johnson keeps me committed to Ohio State right now,” Cox said. “I mean I don’t know the players up there at Ohio State like that. We come from different environments (from the players at UGA) and all. We all come from different stuff. I’ve just seen what coach Larry Johnson has done with some recent defensive ends and other defensive ends. I know he can do that same stuff for me.”

Cox also mentions how he knows the guys at UGA, is closer with them, and he has realized that he can develop anywhere he goes. I'm not saying that there's any fire to go with the smoke, but this one will go down to the wire. Cox still plans to enroll early, and will be taking official visits to Columbus, Athens (Georgia, not to see the Bobcats), and Tuscaloosa the next few weeks.

As is to be expected of the recruitment and commitment status of any Buckeye target from the SEC footprint, the good guys clearly will have to fight tooth and nail to hang on to Cox. Buckle up, hang on tight, and write Santa, asking for the Bucks to keep what is currently the second highest rated recruit in their class committed.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 48 Comments