Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

OSU football and basketball recruiting fan talk.

Looking At The 2018 Ohio Class

+9 HS
305Buck's picture
February 1, 2017 at 3:04pm
272 Comments

There seems to be a lot of big time players in state for this class. Definitely up from recent years and with Meyer's comments today about how he wants around half of his classes to be from Ohio, I could see at least 10 in this class.

ATH- We all know Jaelen Gill, he will likely play the Curtis Samuel position, getting snaps out wide and from the RB position.

WR- Best group of WRs in Ohio recently, imo. You have Blue Smith, who currently holds an offer, Joseph Scates, who I personally think is the best WR in state this class and Meechi Harris, who made a visit to Ohio State this past weekend and got some one on one time with Meyer. I think both Harris and Scates are candidates for a camp offer and while Scates is currently committed to Michigan State, I think Ohio State could flip him if they offered. 

TE- Same story here with Trenton Gillison, he's the top TE in state to me and also committed to Michigan State early. The coaching staff may want to see him camp before offering, but if he does receive an offer, he could be another flip candidate. Brenden Bates, out of Moeller, is another name to watch at TE.

OL- Best OT in the country right here in Ohio, Jackson Carman, but there's another instate OT that seems to be picking up steam. Notre Dame sent out an offer recently to John Dirksen, OT out of Marion Local High School. I have a lot of respect for Hiestand and if he's offering this kid early, he has to be the real deal. Michigan State is after him hard.

DL- Aeneas Hawkins is one of the hottest names in the country right now, despite his rankings. Kid has picked up offers from Alabama and LSU recently, to go along with his current offers from Ohio State, FSU, Penn State, Notre Dame and Clemson, among others. Tyreke Smith is another hot name in state, who Penn State is after hard and Michigan and Ohio State recently offered. I expect both Hawkins and Smith to stay in state. Leonard Taylor is another name to watch at either DL or TE, but I haven't seen any junior year film from him as of yet.

LB- Pretty simple here, the staff wants Christopher Oats and Dallas Gant. I have no doubt Oats will be a Buckeye, but we will have to fight off Notre Dame and Michigan to land Gant. Brian Asamoah is another who visited this past weekend for Junior day, he could be a late offer candidate if we miss on a couple top targets.

DB- Not many big name DBs in the Ohio class this year. Xavier Henderson is the highest ranked one, currently committed to Michigan State. Not many Lattimore's, Conley's or Williamson's in state this year. Staff seems to be chasing national corners in Anthony Cook, Houston Griffith, Derrik Allen and others.

Things change easily in recruiting, but as of now, I would want Gill, Scates, B. Smith, Harris, Carman, Gillison, Hawkins, T. Smith, Oats and Gant in the class if Scates, Harris and Gillison earns their offers. There are always a few new Ohio names that pop up as well, as Meyer noted Ohio prospects take longer to develop because of the lack of spring practices.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 272 Comments