Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

OSU football and basketball recruiting fan talk.

This Date In Gray Box History: Connor Smith (7-31)

Matt Gutridge's picture
July 31, 2015 at 9:41pm
11 Comments

This series will highlight the commitment anniversary date of Ohio State players. I have commitment dates from 2003-2015.

Note: I don't have all of the commitment dates for all of the players from those years, but I have the majority. 

Connor Smith

Connor Smith had a .978 comp. rating and was the 3rd ranked OG in the 2006.

ON JULY 31, 2005 CONNOR SMITH (OG) COMMITTED TO OHIO STATE

Excerpts from an article written by Tom Groeschen of the Cincinnati Enquirer via buckeyeplanet.com:

Connor Smith has committed to Ohio State, and no other college had a chance to land the Colerain football star.

Smith, ranked by most analysts the No. 1 Cincinnati prospect in this fall's prep senior class, is the son of former Ohio State offensive lineman Joe Smith. The elder Smith also played at Colerain, then made 36 starts for Ohio State between 1979-82.

"I've been a Buckeye fan since I was old enough to understand football," said Connor Smith, who announced his OSU commitment Monday to Cincinnati media. "My dad was one of the last recruits of Woody Hayes, right before Earle Bruce took over."

[...]

Connor Smith said he visited OSU, Michigan, Tennessee and Florida. In the end, he picked OSU over Florida.

[...]

Connor Smith, 6-foot-5 and 300 pounds, was a starting tackle for last year's Colerain team that went 15-0 and won the Ohio Division I championship.

[...]

Kerry Coombs said Smith is the most heavily recruited player he has had in 15 seasons as Cardinals coach.

"What separates him is his intensity, from the start of a play through the end of a play," Coombs said. "He's big and he can run. He was recruited by everybody, from all four corners of the country."

Connor Smith was a five-star recruit who never started a game at Ohio State.

Connor Smith was a five-star recruit who never started a game at Ohio State.

A summary of Connor Smith's Ohio State career per Doug Lesmerises of cleveland.com:

Smith picked Ohio State over a new coach trying to get things rolling in the South – Urban Meyer at Florida. 

[...]

And it just never quite happened for Smith in Columbus, who saw the other lineman in the Class of 2006, Bryant Browning, turn into a three-year starter for the Buckeyes.

“I think it’s been hard since the day I stepped foot on campus because I wanted to do some things on the football field that I just didn’t do,” Smith told BuckeyeSportsBulletin.com at the end of the 2010 season, when the career of fifth-year senior was coming to a close. Smith said he considered transferring, but decided to stick around and finish his career and degree in Columbus. A career backup with the Buckeyes, he never started a game.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 11 Comments