Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Your Most Memorable List - The Game

+6 HS
Hovenaut's picture
November 24, 2023 at 12:33pm
21 Comments

Happy Day Before 11W!

Teetering between decorating, tuning into a game, moar food, or a nap (likely a mix of each), but perusing the reads here and elsewhere I came across a nice article via AP online by Ralph Russo: 

https://apnews.com/article/ohio-state-michigan-greatest-games-e82101b6a4...

Mr. Russo presents a good top six of the best games of the rivalry (semi-spoiler alert, it's not a long read, and worth a few minutes to take in), and I wanted to bring in and tweak here to gauge your thoughts on the best games in your lifetime.

I'm a 70's kid, but left Ohio the spring of '78. Here's my list (I'll go six as well) chronological-like:

1.  1981 - Vaughn Broadnax defines run blocking from a fullback perspective, taking out two defenders and leading Art Schlichter to a six yard go ahead score in a 14-9 Buckeye win up north. 
  2.  1984 - Ohio State punches a trip to the Rose Bowl (their first since 1980), led by Keith Byars' three touchdowns in a 21-6 win.
  3.  1987 - Earle Bruce's farewell, and a heartfelt team effort in the winning sendoff - 23-20. 
  4.  Fast forward to 1994 (memory lapses, some time away in The World's Finest Navy). Freshman undergrad in Pennsylvania, a trip to the parents and a surprise first win for John Cooper in a 22-6 mostly one-sided game. 
  5.  2001 - I wanted to put 2002 here, but realized it was really the year before that turned this thing around. In addition this one was up north, just like tomorrow. Jonathan Wells runs wild for a half plus, and the good guys hold on for a 26-21 win. This new head coach is like our own Nostradamus
  6.  2006 - Game of the Century. There have been some great moments since, but I can't leave this off. 

Honorable mentions to 2011 (near miss for Fick and company in a valiant effort in a 40-34 loss), 2012 (Urban's first year, and the de-facto bowl game for the good guys in a 26-21 win), 2016 (30-27 2OT thriller, and the spot was correct), and 2018 (the late Dwayne Haskins lights it up for 396 yards, 6 TD performance leading the good guys to a 62-39 win). 

What say you, 11W - what's your list of your best versions of The Game?

Go Buckeyes. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 21 Comments