Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Should Fields Stay?

-1 HS
Brah Zhole's picture
August 10, 2020 at 11:48am
44 Comments

It pains me to think we'll only get one year of this guy, but it's now quite possible. 

I think he's a better football player than Trevor Lawrence, especially on the next level. BUT...if the draft were today Lawrence would go #1, and Fields would be somewhere between 2-5.  

So the question is does it make sense for him to stay? 

I understand that one more year in the NFL is an extra $22mm that you lose at the end of the contract, and that you make the most money on your second deal.  However, how much more money to get you in advertising dollars as the Number ONE pick versus any other pick? Baker Mayfield is an average player who was/is all over television because he was the #1 pick.

I think Darnold and maybe Josh Allen are better than him, but you've rarely, if ever, seen them on national spots.  

So it begs the question of what the value is to staying one more year for someone like Fields? Kyler Murray has Nike and Nissan ads, but both are tied to larger ad campaigns.  Maybe he doesn't have the personality for it, or other reasons, but we haven't seen him get paid yet outside his contract.

I think there's something to be said for being the Number One overall pick.  If the season played out I think Fields would be the number one pick.  But it's not going to happen.  Will see him again in Scarlet, and is it a good idea for him to return?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 44 Comments