Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Candid Take On Evan Pryor Situation

+21 HS
BuckeyeFromTheMud's picture
June 28, 2020 at 8:00am
90 Comments

Disclaimer: This post is not meant to be divisive but more of a reflection of the love I have for Ohio State Football. I’ve practically grown up on eleven warriors, which has helped me consume the best Buckeye content out there! So please hear me out and provide some tangible feedback. Because regardless of who we are, the one thing that brings us together is the love of the scarlet & grey. Period!

Open Question: I read the latest article over Evan Pryor and thought nothing negative about it. A young man who is aware of what’s going on in the country & deciding to play a role in change should be respected. However, when I look at the comment section, I see a big wave of “shut up & dribble” energy. Which I don’t quite understand? How come a large population of fans who root for predominantly African American teams separates out the humanity in these young men? It’s almost as if you want robots out on the field and not actual people with thoughts & feelings. It’s not about being soft or a distraction but simple decency. I’m not sure how the lines became so blurred but it’s saddening. I understand not wanting to be distracted from football, but the black experience in this country is deeper than that. With all the charged political energy taking place, I hope we could use these occurrences as teaching lessons? I’m just a little fatigued, of always seeing veiled racism in these comments over the slightest issue. This is NOT the first article that has shown me the ugly side of buckeye fans. I think these young men deserve more respect than that. You can delete this posts & other comments that may make you uncomfortable. But black Americans are uncomfortable everyday...including those players. Standing up against racism should never be a debate. I think healthy & constructive dialogue go a long way. Let’s start here! Thanks. 

[Mod Edit: Moved to "Anything Else." This has less to do with OSU football than the original article.]

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 90 Comments