Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Good News for Football's Chances in the Fall, Astrazeneca

+14 HS
westy81585's picture
May 21, 2020 at 3:05pm
59 Comments

Thought I would pass this along from my "professional" viewpoint.  Astrazeneca announced today (as I'm sure at least a few of you have seen), that they are making excellent progress and expect to have 100 million doses of a COVID vaccine ready in September/October, 400 million by the end of the year, and more than a billion by the end of 2021.  I had mentioned this a week or two ago here, but today they did a big press release on it confirming their progress past the "rumors" I had been hearing.  

If it hadn't come from a company like Astrazeneca (working with Oxford no less) I wouldn't have believed it at all.  To summize for you; finishing a brand new vaccine in a year (which puts us into next Spring) is definitely doable... but it is the equivalent of landing on the moon in the 60's.  An immense undertaking.  Pulling it off THIS FALL, is nothing short of a miracle. 

Apparently, by the grace of God Oxford was already working on a vaccine for a similar virus, and only had to change a few things in their work when the pandemic took off... putting them maybe half a year ahead of the game (at least months).  They partnered with Astrazeneca who saw the work as so promising that they have been mass producing the drug for weeks now, gambling that the clinical trials will be successful and they won't have hundreds of millions of doses (worth potentially billions in production) that they have to dump.  The idea being if the clinical trials pass in the early fall, they will be able to immediately ship the vaccine en-mass.  

Obviously this COULD still fail (it doesn't seem likely given the results they're supposedly seeing), but this is outstanding news for our lives getting back to normal AND, more importantly for our purposes here.... football continuing largely unaffected in the fall.  

If this works out, I can stop scolding you all about your lack-of-mask use by November ;)  

GO BUCKS!

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centre/press-releases/2020/astrazeneca...

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 59 Comments