Ohio State football fan talk.

OSU vs. Clemson - Time to Take the Crown

+14 HS
Large Father's picture
December 26, 2019 at 8:39pm
18 Comments

Tressels, Fickells, Urbans and Days,    

They hurt Braxton Miller’s shoulder.

They helped set the recent narrative for Ohio State football and overall Big Ten conference ineptitude.

...and before that they got Woody Hayes fired.

I would love to see the 2019 Buckeyes exact revenge for a team that has really only represented villainy for the last six years consistently...and prior to that is a fuzzy memory of a fired coach who would be 106 years old today.

Before this recent run, Clemson was essentially irrelevant for someone in the Midwest rooting for Ohio State and focused on Big Ten heartland foes. Orange and purple doesn't generate generational nostalgia.  There are some of the historic programs that are always on the national radar like Notre Dame...or some of the recent dynasty’s like USC under Pete Carroll and Miami at the turn of the century...but, since the existence of the College Football Playoff, Clemson and Alabama have been squarely public enemy number one for the other 128 teams.

Watching Clemson highlights recently, since neither myself or anyone else in the country watched Clemson this year (or any ACC football for that matter), they are the other team in the country that passes the look test. The defending champions still look really good.  I think this will be the best team Ohio State has played for a while, in fact since the last time they played Clemson.

But, I still think there’s something about this Ohio State team. It's still the best Ohio State team I've ever seen.  Yes, they had some struggles against a very well prepared Wisconsin team in the first half of the Big Ten Championship game, but absolutely crushed the Badgers from that point on even though it is very tough to beat a team twice in a season. I also liked the way the offense was moving when Justin had two healthy knees; no use crying over spilled Tostito’s...the Buckeyes are still tough enough and talented enough to grind.

Ohio State has preached toughness all season long.  We'll get to see if that is the core of this team or just a mantra.  Clemson‘s skill positions look really good to me. Their receivers are big and fast.  Their defensive back seven is big and fast.  They are on trend.  College football continually changes with RPOs, spread reads, new defensive schemes, becoming faster and more complex...but the best way to beat speed is still to run right at it. I would love to see the offensive line generate push and run the ball right down Clemson’s throat.

On defense, this is the time for the OSU defensive line depth to shine. Clemson would be stupid not to take a page from the offensive playbook of Penn State, Michigan and Wisconsin the last few games and double (and sometimes triple) team Chase. If they do that, other Ohio State defenders will have to make them pay. This could be a big game for Davon Hamilton, Jashon Cornell, and my man, BB Landers.  Those guys need to make sure Clemson doesn't get into a rhythm.  

When Ohio State beat Michigan in The Game this season, the Buckeyes overtook the Wolverine's as the all-time highest win percentage College Football team for the first time in 150 years.  That's the long game.  Now, I'm turning my attention to the short game.  I would love to see Ohio State take the crown from Clemson this weekend and come one step closer to the championship.

Touchdowns:  Dobbins, Fields, Olave, KJ Hill

OSU 34 Clemson 10

Go Bucks!  Beat Clemson!  BB Landers for Heisman!

Large Father   

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 18 Comments