Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

What if a Current Buckeyes Player Asked “Who’s Archie Griffin?” or “Who’s Jack Tatum?”

-4 HS
Sonof'47alum's picture
December 19, 2019 at 3:00pm
40 Comments

I posted yesterday about an interview with Dick Butkus on “Golic & Wingo” where Butkus told the story about a recent NFL running back asking “who’s Jim Brown?” when his name came up in a conversation.

Some people commenting on my post felt that Brown was, in essence, ancient history and they wouldn’t necessarily expect a current-day NFL running back to know who Jim Brown is.

I know the situation is not exactly analogous but how would you feel if someone on the 2019 Ohio State roster didn’t know the names Jack Tatum and Archie Griffin—and basically what they accomplished?

Related to this: does anyone know if the football program provides any kind of presentation—print or video—that offers an overview of the history of Ohio State football to incoming players?  Would you consider such a presentation worthwhile?  Or do you think the history beyond recent years in essence irrelevant to manny of the current players?

Interestingly (or perhaps not), the current head coach of the high school soccer program I played for (and where the coach and I were teammates 50 years ago) does make an effort to educate the current kids about the storied history of the program to get them to feel they are part of a special tradition—and it does seem to hit home as the seniors seem to reflect on this at the year-end banquet.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 40 Comments