THE PERTINENT INFO
When: Saturday, December 7, 2019
Where: Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, IN
TV: 8:00 // FOX
Announcers: Gus Johnson, Joel Klatt and Jenny Taft
This will be the 84th time Ohio State and Wisconsin (10–2) have faced each other in football. The Buckeyes hold a 60–18–5 advantage in the all-time series and are 2 when playing the Badgers in the Big Ten Championship Game.
Paul Chryst's team is coming off of a 38-17 beating of Minnesota.
Below, you will find some interesting facts about the teams, key offensive player stats, coach information, and team stats.
THE LAST TIME...
- Ohio State played Wisconsin, the Buckeyes beat the Badgers 38-7 in a rain-soaked Ohio Stadium.
- The Buckeyes faced Wisconsin in the Big Ten Championship game, Ohio State won
- This game was played in Columbus, the Scarlet and Gray won 27-21 in 2017.
- Ohio State played on December 7th was 2013. The team lost to Michigan State, 34-24, in Indianapolis.
ON THE HORIZON
- K.J. Hill is currently second on Ohio State's all-time receptions list. He needs 3 catches to tie David Boston (191) for first.
- Ohio State has scored a program-best 599 points through 12 games. The 2019 team needs four points against Wisconsin to pass the 2013 squad (602) for most points through 13 games. The all-time high is the 672 scored in 2014.
- The defense has recorded 49.0 sacks, the program single-season record is 52.0
- Chase Young needs 5.5 sacks to tie Mike Vrabel for the Ohio State career sack lead.
- The Buckeyes are going for their eighth straight win over Wisconsin. Ohio State has won 10 out of the last 11 in the series. If memory serves correct, the Buckeyes just won their eighth straight against another opponent...
LET'S GO STREAKING
- Ohio State has won 18 consecutive games.
- J.K. Dobbins has rushed for at least 100 yards in consecutive games.
- The Buckeyes have scored at least 28 points in 15 straight games.
- Ohio State has 14 consecutive wins against teams ranked teams.
- The Buckeyes have won 30 straight games when scoring 24 or more points.
GET TO KNOW WISCONSIN
- Wisconsin is located in Madison, WI.
- The university was established in 1839.
- The Badgers are in their 131st season of playing football.
- Bucky the Badger, the team's mascot, made its debut in 1940.
- Wisconsin has won 14 Big Ten Conference championships. However, six of them are as co-champions
Notable Alumni: Alan Amache (1954 Heisman Trophy winner) Ron Dayne (1999 Heisman Trophy winner), Arnie Herber (NFL Hall of Fame QB), Elroy Hirsch* (NFL Hall of Fame), J.J. Watt (Texans), Phil Hellmuth (crybaby poker player) Lewis Wolff (owner of the A's and San Jose Earthquake), Andy Katz (ESPN), Dick Cheney (former vice president with a bad heart and bad aim), John L. Savage (chief engineer of Hoover Dam) Michael Mann (film director and executive producer of Miami Vice) Seann William Scott (Stiffler in American Pie) David Zucker (director and writer of Airplane!, created The Naked Gun) and Jerry Zucker (director of Airplane! and Ghost), Charles Lindbergh** (aviator), Donald Goerke (inventor of SpaghettiOs), William S. Harley and William H. and Willie G. Davidson (Harley Davidson).
*Also played for Michigan
**Attended, did not graduate
TODAY'S TRIVIA QUESTIONS:
- When was the last time a player from Wisconsin was listed on Ohio State's roster?
- Through the years, how many Ohio State football players have Wisconsin listed as their home state?
- What year was it when the Badgers last defeated the Buckeyes?
Answers at the bottom of today's article.
|JUSTIN FIELDS||2,654 YDS // 37 TD // 1 INT||PASSING||JACK COAN||2,309 YDS // 17 TD // 4 INT|
|J.K. DOBBINS||1,657 YDS // 6.6 YPC // 19 TD||RUSHING||JONATHAN TAYLOR||1,761 YDS // 6.3 YPC // 20 TD|
|CHRIS OLAVE||705 YDS // 11 TD||RECEIVING||QUINTEZ CEPHUS||720 YDS // 6 TD|
|MALIK HARRISON||63||TACKLES||CHRIS ORR||71|
|CHASE YOUNG||16.5||SACKS||ZACK BAUN||11.5|
|JEFF OKUDAH||3||INTERCEPTIONS||ERIC BURRELL||3|
|GARRETT WILSON||7.5 YPR||PUNT RETURNER||JACK DUNN||9.0|
|DEMARIO McCALL||23.2 YPR||KICKOFF RETURN||ARON CRUICKSHANK||26.6|
|DRUE CHRISMAN||44.2||PUNTING||ANTHONY LOTTI||39.6|
- 15–0 (1.00) at Ohio State
- 15–0 (1.00) overall
Day's hometown is Manchester, NH. He attended Manchester High School and attended college at New Hampshire. Day has been in coaching for 18 years and is Ohio State's 25th head coach.
After this season's first 12 games, Ryan Day and the Buckeyes are outscoring their opponents 599-142. That is an average victory of 50-12. The numbers stay fairly steady when you add in the three games Day coached last season.
After 15 games with Day as head coach, Ohio State is beating teams by an average score of 51-14. He has the program record for points scored after his first 15 games with 768.
Urban Meyer is the only other coach in program history to start his career with 15 straight victories.
- 52–14 (.788) at Wisconsin (5th year)
- 71–33 (.683) overall as a college head coach (8th year)
- 34–10 (.773) against B1G opponents
Paul Chryst was born in Madison, Wisconsin and played quarterback and tight end for the Badgers from 1986-88. After being an assistant coach for various collegiate and professional teams over 23 seasons, Pittsburgh gave Chryst his first head coaching job in 2012. After going 19–19 with the Panthers, Chryst received the call from Wisconsin and headed back home.
Chryst has been the Badgers head coach since 2015. In time the program has a 67– 31 overall record and is 30– 8 in Big Ten play. Wisconsin has played in four consecutive bowl games and won them all. Last year was the first time the Badgers did not finish a season ranked in the top 25 under Chryst's regime.
CLIFF CLAVEN'S LITTLE KNOWN FACTS CORNER
- 0......Wins for Chryst against Ohio State.
- 1......Day is looking for his first Big Ten Championship.
- 2......Straight years that the Buckeyes have hung 56 or more points on That Team.
- 3......Consecutive years that Ohio State has won at least 12 games.
- 4......Wins for the Buckeyes over teams currently ranked in the CFP Top 25, the only team in the country that can claim this.
- 5......This is Ohio State's fifth appearance in the Big Ten championship game.
- 6......Number of times the Buckeyes have scored 50 or more points this year.
- 7......Touchdowns for Chris Olave over the last six games.
- 8......Straight years Ohio State has won 11 games.
- 11....Combined number of Big Ten championship games played by the Buckeyes and Badgers.
- 15....Different Buckeyes have recorded a sack.
- 16....Total touchdowns the Silver Bullets have allowed this season.
- 17....Ohio State is 16-0 when Dobbins rushes for 100 or more yards.
- 24....Times the Buckeyes have scored 40 or more points since 2017.
- 37.....Rushing touchdowns for the Buckeyes this year.
- 37.....Straight games the Scarlet and Gray has scored at least 20 points.
- 46.....Consecutive games K.J. Hill has caught a pass, the program record is 48.
- 47.....Total touchdowns for Justin Fields through 11 games.
- 49.....Sacks the Silver Bullets have recorded this season, the school record is 52.
- 68.....Punts Drue Chrisman has downed inside the 20 during his OSU career.
- 70.....Ohio State has scored at least 70 points twice this year, first time since 1996.
- 81.....Total offensive touchdowns scored by the 2019 Buckeyes.
- 104...Wins for the Buckeyes this decade.
- 111....Number of carries for the Bucks in the games against Penn State and TTUN.
- 118....Garrett Wilson's career high in receiving yards came in The Game.
- 134...Touchdown passes thrown by Ohio State quarterbacks since 2017.
- 175...Average rushing yards for Dobbins against MSU, Wisconsin, Penn State and That Team.
- 228...Offensive touchdowns for the Buckeyes since 2017.
- 217...Minimum number of rushing yards for OSU in first 12 games.
- 282...Points Justin Fields is responsible for this season.
- 341...First downs gained by Ohio State this year.
- 360...Points scored by OSU in the first half this season, opposing teams have 54.
- 457...Wins for Ohio State in Ohio Stadium.
- 590...Buckeye football games played in Ohio Stadium.
- 599...The number of points the Buckeyes have scored in 12 games, the most ever in program history.
- 601...Touchdowns scored by the Scarlet and Gray since 2012, most in the country.
- 916...Times Ohio State has been ranked in the AP poll.
- 923...Number of official wins for the program (we know it's actually 935).
|92.1||2nd||PASS EFFICIENCY DEFENSE||107.6||5th|
TODAY'S TRIVIA ANSWERS
When was the last time a player from Wisconsin was listed on Ohio State's roster?
Answer: 1972, Jimmie Mecskstroth.
Through the years, how many Ohio State football players have Wisconsin listed as their home state?
Answer: Two. Of the home state's listed on Ohio State's rosters, only two players had Wisconsin. George Zavistoske (1939-41) and Jimmie Meckstroth (1971-72). Note, there are several years where home state is not listed, so this number could be higher.
What year was it when the Badgers last defeated the Buckeyes?
Answer: 2010. Wisconsin won 31-18 in Camp Randall Stadium. Ohio State has won seven straight in the series since that loss.