Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

What It’s Like to Be a Michigan Fan and Jim Harbaugh Right Now

+2 HS
Sonof'47alum's picture
November 28, 2019 at 10:22pm
9 Comments

I think I know exactly what fans of TTUN are feeling right now because I have been in their shoes.  And I think I have a sense of what Harbaugh feels as well.

And I am not talking about my experiences as an Ohio State fan in the 1990s.  There is a huge difference, especially when you look at, for example, that run of tough losses by the Buckeyes in ‘93, ‘95, and ‘96.  As we all know, those were seasons where Ohio State was clearly superior and yet managed to lose in The Game.

Instead, I have an understanding of what it’s like for fans of TTUN because I was a season ticket-holder of the Knicks during the era when they faced the Michael Jordan-led Chicago Bulls in the playoffs five times in an 8-year period from the late 1980s to the mid-1990s—and went 0 for 5.  (Yes, they did beat the Bulls in seven games in ‘94 when MJ was on his minor league baseball sabbatical.)

The Knicks even had the better regular-season record and home court advantage for two of those five series against the MJ-led Bulls—and it didn’t matter.

It didn’t matter because regardless of how close and tough some of those losses were, and no matter how many woulda-coulda-shouldas we diehard Knicks fans dwelled on and/or lamented (e.g., the infamous Charles Smith game in 1993), in the end we ultimately and grudgingly had to accept the fact that the Bulls had more talent and were a better team.

It was frustrating to be sure, especially because if Jordan and Pippen hadn’t been in their way, the Knicks might well have won an NBA title or two with Patrick Ewing.  

I’m not saying TTUN won’t win on Saturday (although I firmly believe that, if Ohio State and Michigan played a best-of-7 series this year, Ohio State would absolutely win—because, like the MJ-led Bulls, Ohio State has superior talent0,   And, the truth is, Ohio State has had superior talent for a number of years now—and, deep down, if Michigan fans are being honest with themselves, they have to know that.

I can also tell you that, as a diehard Knicks fan, it still bothers me on some level that they never got the best of the MJ-led Bulls in the playoffs.  They will forever be 0-5 in those battles.  

So I can only begin to imagine how Jim Harbaugh feels that he will forever be 0-4 in The Game against Urban Meyer.  

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 9 Comments