Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Weather for Saturday W/updates

+51 HS
tbdbitlbuck's picture
November 20, 2019 at 8:48am
134 Comments

I've seen a lot of concerned 11Wers very, very worrisome about the weather on Saturday, so I felt like it would be nice to have a centralized thread where you can monitor. There's a number of amateur weather lovers on here that love to discuss weather, look at forecast models, etc.

Now, first off--ditch Weather.com, Accuweather, etc. Go to trusted sources for the most accurate weather information. Namely, weather.gov (the National Weather Service/NOAA) and also--Tropical Tidbits (https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/) if you want to see models. And really, check out local news meterologists like NBC4, 10TV, ABC6, etc. For Saturday, here is what the NWS is forecasting

A chance of rain and snow between 9am and 10am, then a chance of rain after 10am. Cloudy, with a high near 45. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Of course, you read that and you think, "Oh wow, it's quite likely it's going to rain". The NWS uses "chance of precipitation" to basically describe the chance of precipitation occurring at any point you select in the forecast area. So as of now, they're saying a 50% chance we receive ANY precipitation in the given forecast area. 

Now, take a look at the forecast graphs for the hour of the game. Especially take a look at the wind and precipitation rows: 

(REMOVED GRAPHIC BECAUSE IT'S DYNAMIC AND SHIFTS, WILL UPDATE IN THREAD)
The total amount of accumulated precipitation for the game through the evening right now is 0.06 inches of rain. Six hundredths of an inch. Enough to feel a sprinkle, but that's hardly worthy of even describing as even moderately significant precipitation.
Also--look at the wind. Surface winds at 2-3 mph. Basically--enough to make smoke drift with the air. Leaves wouldn't even rustle at 2-3 mph. 
Of course, this is central Ohio, with weather always subject to change, but I would expect at this point that we'll have an overcast day with scattered precipitation and low winds. In other words, a lot less inclement than we saw for the Wisconsin game. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 134 Comments