Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

OSU vs. Rutgers - Triple Digits

+9 HS
Large Father's picture
November 14, 2019 at 8:28pm
34 Comments

Tressels, Fickells, Urbans and Days,   

The SEC and ACC need to add a 9th conference match-up. They are the only major conferences that only play 8 conference opponents.  

After watching Wisconsin lose to Illinois a few weeks ago...and then Penn State lose to Minnesota last weekend.  And, I'm trying to erase the memory, but I believe Ohio State was beat soundly by Iowa two seasons ago and Purdue last season.  I'm seeing a big difference in schedule disparity when forced to play an in-conference opponent that you may not think has a chance to win on the surface. It is really tough to beat an opponent who is very familiar with you. The Big Ten schedule means you have to run the gauntlet unscathed; each game a challenge that builds as the season progresses.

Instead, SEC and ACC schools schedule four extremely weak non-conference opponents. It increases the likelihood that they will go undefeated and have at least one team in the college football playoff. There is an additional twist...not only do they schedule an additional non-conference opponents, they even schedule non-division one schools right before their rivalry games. It essentially gives them a bye week deep in the season when it is most difficult to win. The playing field is not level to try to make the CFP. 

Ohio State played an ACC opponent last weekend: Maryland.  I'm trying to wrap my head around how awful the ACC conference must be.  Maryland may have been one of the worst Big Ten teams I've seen in a long time...and Maryland scored 63 on Syracuse this season.  Using the transitive property, Ohio State would score 136 on Syracuse.  We'll see if the scoreboard at Rutgers (of Big East legacy) is able to register triple digits this weekend.

Touchdowns:  Dobbins, Fields, Olave, KJ Hill

OSU 34 Rutgers 10

Go Bucks!  Beat Rutgers!  BB Landers for Heisman!

Dumpy Dad

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 34 Comments