Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

A Little Love for Another Buckeye Assistant

+8 HS
Brooksie's picture
September 29, 2019 at 10:39am
14 Comments

Guys, a thought hit me watching our Buckeyes throttle Nebraska last night, so here goes.

You would have to be an absolute moron not to appreciate the value of Defensive Line Coach Larry Johnson on this staff. Yes, his job was made easier by the Bosa boys. But he proved that was no fluke with the development of current superstar Chase Young. Chase is in the conversation as the #1 pick next April. But if you take a look at the rest of the line. Guys are in shape, know their assignments, and play very sound fundamental football. Coach J is a very solid reason the Buckeyes are where they are in the polls.

But there is another holder from Urban's staff that really deserves some love. Among a feeling from the fan base of "Oh my God, the sky is falling! We didn't get Milton or Robinson" this past summer - Coach Tony Alford dismissed that and went back to work to get the kids he had on campus ready for this season.

With Mike Weber off to Dallas, JK Dobbins became the unquestioned leader of the stable of thoroughbreds. He is solidly built with a set of wheels that are the envy of most. I think he is a clear NFL talent who just happens to be playing on Saturdays this fall. JK never seems to even break a sweat until he has eclipsed the 75 yard mark. But here's where I think we need to show some love to Coach Tony.

Master Teague is a powerful back who is at top end speed in two steps. If, as a defensive back, you let Master get to top speed - the next meal you are going to enjoy will be rubber pellets of the Field Turf infill after Teague has buried you into it. His ability to change direction at top speed is why he is the first option to spell JK. While others were freaking out, Coach Tony kept working with the players he believed in. Job well done.

Lastly, we haven't too much of him yet - but Marcus Crowley appears to be "next man up". And id Coach Tony has anything to say about it - he will be just fine.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 14 Comments