Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

From the Log of Admiral Dae: The Star Owl Skirmish

+10 HS
MiamiBuckeye's picture
August 31, 2019 at 3:53pm
13 Comments

Stardate 83119.25

Our first taste of battle, my first taste of official command in a live fire scenario. Our outposts are safe and we suffered few casualties, and that's what matters most, I suppose. Even so, I can't help but feel as if the action against the Space Owls could have been less...how shall I say...dicey? 

We didn't know much about them, except that their leader, Lanus Kiff, a disgraced former commodore of the L'Bama Hegemony's fleet, is a notorious figure on the Extranet, known for all manner of provocations and ridiculous feuds. Well, that hotspur personality of his didn't help much, nor did the second rate shields and barely operational torps his flotilla's retrofitted freighters were armed with. 

We jumped from slipspace before they'd even reached our furthest outpost, and as such it was possible to set advanced pickets and deploy zone traps to tangle up their drives. Much of the nuts and bolts operations I left to my promising new adjutant, Captain Feeldz. I have to admit, the boy set up a tremendous first line of contact. When the Space Owls jumped into reg-space, I don't think they were close to ready, not for the 500 megatonnes of plasma our main batteries pumped into them. Thanks to Captain Feeldz' leadership and dead aim, we cut the bulk of their flotilla to detritus in the opening salvo. 

All seemed well, almost seemed like it wouldn't be a fight. 

But they had a backup plan. The ships that weren't deleted in that opening salvo regrouped. Much to our dismay, they had camo generators on board. I've had some time to think about it now, and I wonder who could have supplied them with such advanced tech. No ragtag group of pirates stumbles on something so sensitive. Another thing: my technicians inform me that the neutrino buildup from those generators that allowed them to slip past our defensive screens and our pickets bears a distinct resemblance to the newest technology from the labs of Ann-Appa Tech. Curious, that. 

In the ensuing confusion, one of our picket corvettes got deleted by a photonic torp. Matters quickly deteriorated as a Space Owl frigate slipped through our lines and made a run at one of our asteroid labs. They managed to squeeze off a drop pod chock full of raiders. Luckily, it wasn't just unarmed scientists in that lab. The security detail was led by one of our best marines, Sergeant Chaeyoung. From the report the scientists gave me, it seems the good Sergeant wiped out the boarding party almost singlehandedly with a well-place flechette turret. I wonder if that young man has a future as a capital ship gunner? Food for thought. 

That was that. Once we recovered from our initial surprise, we recalibrated our sensors to key in on the specific neutrino bursts their cloaks were emitting. From there it was just target practice again. A few ships managed to make a jump back to slipspace, but I don't think we'll see them again. I'm more concerned about the momentary lapse of discipline that allowed what few casualties we did suffer. I'm also troubled by the proliferation of cloaking technology. If our suspicions are correct, the Wolva have committed a brazen violation of the 'Npalas Accords. Their time will come, for now, I've got other problems to deal with. There's been ripples on the Sinnati Frontier. Maybe nothing, or maybe the Sinnati are gearing up for another flare up. Time will tell. 

Signing off for now, 

Admiral Dae Riyan, Supreme Commander of the Bukki Star Empire

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 13 Comments