Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

How OSU Can Win National Title

+2 HS
BrutusB's picture
June 27, 2019 at 11:50am
56 Comments

ESPN has an article out on how each contender can win the title (side note: written by Bill Connelly?  When did he jump to ESPN?  This might explain the demise of PAPN)

His most important components for us:

If ... Justin Fields lives up to blue-chip hype ... and doesn't get hurt. I know, I said I wasn't going to mention QB injuries. But considering what else Ohio State has on the roster besides the sophomore Georgia transfer -- former WVU backup Chris Chugunov, former Kentucky backup Gunnar Hoak, and that's about it -- an injury here would be absolutely devastating, more than for other top teams.

If ... the Ohio State run game becomes the Ohio State run game again. In 2017, JK Dobbins and Mike Weber gained 2,029 yards on 295 carries. In 2018, they gained 2,007 ... on 402. Without much of a run threat from Dwayne Haskins, the Buckeyes' run game was a lot more basic, and it showed.

If ... the defense suffers fewer catastrophes. Ohio State's defense didn't suffer glitches in 2018; it suffered Armageddon. The Buckeyes allowed 39 gains of 30-plus yards, almost as many as they allowed in 2016 and 2017 combined (42). And a lot of these breakdowns happened on passing downs -- second-and-8 or more, third-or-fourth-and-5 or more -- in which the defense is supposed to have the advantage. With juniors and seniors manning the secondary instead of sophomores and juniors, the excuses are minimal.

I think we all would have named those as the most important factors, but the whole thing (including the other teams) is worth a read.  

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27046211/how-top-cfb-co...

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 56 Comments