Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

QB Recruiting at OSU: Right Type of Guy?

+10 HS
ShawneeBuck74's picture
November 9, 2018 at 10:40am
88 Comments

Urban has shown his preference for a running QB because of numbers advantage. And running QBs give our defense the most problems.  In the last cycle we passed on Nebraska’s Martinez, basically a JTB clone, in favor of Baldwin (who can run a little) but is a TX HS typical pass first QB. I believe Day had a lot to do with that. 

Tate Martell is Urban’s dream type of QB. Actually, I think Joe Burrow would run Urban’s offense better. Haskins is just a generational arm talent that forced the issue. And Haskins is more of Day’s type of QB. But Baldwin, Mathis, and Miller fit more of what Day wants to do on offense. 

With Day likely to leave next year and Urban re-asserting his control on offense, are we recruiting the right type of QB?

The transition to a pass first, non- read option QB hasn’t been smooth.

I’m wondering if Urban can run this offense with day gone or if we will struggle forcing square pegs into round holes...setting our offense up for failure. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 88 Comments