Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

The Man Who Saved Woody Hayes' Job and Gave OSU a National Title

+8 HS
Urbane Meijer's picture
July 13, 2018 at 8:35am
12 Comments

I'd heard that OSU changed it's offense up when it won the national title in '68, but I had never heard this story about how or why:

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2018/07/george_chau...

Article intro for added context:

"

George Chaump remembers his first few days as an Ohio State assistant coach in March of 1968 as being a rather strange time. He was freshly hired from his hugely successful tenure at John Harris, now Harrisburg High School, where his teams had won their last 34 games in a row.

He was joining his former star Jan White, who’d signed with OSU the year before and played on the freshman team. He’d originally been visited by his new boss Woody Hayes on a recruiting trip the Buckeye coach had planned to try to sign quarterback Jimmy Jones:

“I got to know Woody from him coming up to see us. We’d been undefeated for three years and had all sorts of scoring records.”

In fact, Chaump’s John Harris teams had won six straight Central Penn League championships and were 50-4 over those seasons.

Woody had just weeks before called and asked Chaump to fly to Columbus and interview to join the staff. He offered Chaump the job on the spot."

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 12 Comments