Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Thoughts on 2007 Illinois. Is It Still Too Soon?

+1 HS
Buckfrombirth's picture
July 12, 2018 at 11:21pm
54 Comments

So, I’m sitting here watching the 2007 Illinois vs. Wisconsin game on BTN because, well, I really don’t have anything better to do.  I’ve always believed the loss to the Illini was a really bad one, but this game forced me to rethink that a bit.  Illinois had a ton of talent on that team, like Rashard Mendenhall, Aurelius Benn, J. Lehman, Vontae Davis, and of course, Juice Williams, and they made Wisconsin, who was #5 at the time, look rather pedestrian on both sides of the ball.  Illinois was even #10 in the country in sacks at that point and I can’t help but grudgingly appreciate the overall aggression of their defense at all levels.  

The announcers also made an interesting point:  Illinois was an option team that year, which just about no one else in the B1G was, giving them an asymmetric advantage against the other teams that were generally pro-style.  They had even beaten PSU the week before.  

So, what do you all think?  Was the Illinois loss really as “bad” as we all remember it, or were they a more talented group than they were given credit for?  

Good night, all. Go Bucks.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 54 Comments