Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Haskins Showed More Than "One Throw"

+26 HS
JTFor President2016's picture
July 5, 2018 at 2:58pm
109 Comments

Over the past few days, I have felt the urge to dig a little deeper on Dwayne Haskins. What is it that makes him the "New Chosen One" of Ohio in some people's eyes. Obviously his most famous play, the throw to Mack, will live in Buckeye Lore. However, like many on this site have said, that was one throw. The skeptics are quick to say "It was one throw. You can't base everything off one throw." You could even say "It was one game". And they are correct. JT made throws that were unmatched, but so did Evan Spencer. So there has to be more to why Cris Carter would go as far as saying Haskins could be the best ever at OSU, or why a receiver that won a National Title with JT Barrett as his QB, would call for Haskins to start. 

I went back and watched every throw that Haskins has made during his time at OSU, and it did not take long for me to find a key ability that blew me away. Dwayne Haskins ability to Throw on the Run is absolutely outstanding. The first step to throwing on the run, is actually getting outside the pocket. His ability to maneuver in the pocket is key to getting in this position. Afterwards, his throwing ability takes care of the rest. 

^Possibly his best play of the year. No catch but a holding penalty on the defense. 

Throwing on the run was a weakness of JT, particularly throwing to his right while rolling right. This was a issue at times, especially when Kevin Wilson and Ryan Day put a lot of emphasis on roll-outs. You could clearly see the philosophy shift when Haskins came into games. Haskins had a couple issues with putting too much zip on a few passes; however, none occurred while on the run. That rolling right pass that looks like my golf drive was nonexistent. 

In addition to throwing on the run, his ability to fire the ball quickly also struck me. 

Of course, Haskins wasn't perfect and made some mistakes, but I would expect that out of a redshirt freshmen. One mistake that he rarely made though? I counted (roughly) a total of 2 times where he held the ball for longer than 3 seconds in the pocket. The ball was either out, or he was out of the pocket on every other play past the 3 second mark. 

I am not yet in the camp of "Haskins is the best ever". That's for sure. But he definitely gave us more than a couple throws to be pumped about, and his ability to escape and throw on the run is at the top of my list. I encourage everyone to watch the full video. I'm sure you'll notice some other traits that you like/dislike. 

58 days. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 109 Comments