Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Digging Deeper: Players Who Wore No. 90

Matt Gutridge's picture
June 3, 2018 at 8:05am
11 Comments

Today we are 90 days away from Ohio State's season opener versus Oregon State. Below you will find a list of the 28 players who wore number 90 for the Buckeyes. Today's article will feature the careers of Dr. Warren Amling, Lorenzo Styles and Quinn Pitcock.

Warren Amling's bio is a great read. Interesting man who turned down a chance to play in the NFL.

Today's Trivia Questions

Warren Amling is the only member of the College Football Hall of Fame to achieve what in college basketball?

Can you name the player who wore No. 90 and was a digital defensive stud on Bill Walsh College Football?

Why did Quinn Pitcock retire from the NFL after one season?

Players Who Wore No. 90 At Ohio State
PLAYER WORN B1G MVP TEAM MVP AA CAPT. 1R NFL ALL B1G AC AA NFL DRAFT AC B1G LETTER
Jack Stephenson* 1941                   1941
James Rees 1942                   1942
Martin Amling* 1943                    
Warren Amling 1944-46     1945, 1946 1946   1945, 1946       1944-46
Dale King* 1948                    
Richard Thomas 1951-52                   1951-52
Harvey Hermann 1959                   1959
Joseph Nourse 1961                    
Eric Lagwig 1963                    
Gary Cairns 1966-67                   1966-67
Thomas Encrement 1968-69                    
Willie "Merve" Teague* 1970-71                   1970-71
Mike Coady 1972                    
Patrick Curto 1973-75                 1974, 1975 1973-75
Davis Hall 1976                    
Anthony Megaro 1977-80                   1977-80
Don Braun 1982                   1982
Fred Ridder 1984-87                   1984-87
Don Morris 1986                    
Rich Frimel 1988-91                 1989 1988-91
Lorenzo Styles 1992-94           1993, 1994       1992-94
Clinton Wayne 1996-00                   1997-00
Quinton Thomas 2001                    
Quinn Pitcock 2002-06     2006 2006   2006     2003 2003-06
Thadeus Gibson 2008-09                   2008-09
Darryl Baldwin 2010                    
Tommy Schutt 2012-15                   2012-15
Bryan Kristan 2016-17                    

*Wore another number at Ohio State
Did not earn a varsity letter while wearing No. 90

Dr. Warren E. Amling Offensive Guard and Tackle (1944-46)
Born: 
1924 (Pana, IL)
High School: Pana High School
Death: 2001

Ohio State
1944 team went 9-0 and won the Big Ten championship.
Ohio State went 20-5-2 during Amling's three seasons.

Honors
1945 All-American
1946 All-American
1946 Captain
1981 inducted into the Ohio State Varsity O Hall of Fame
1984 inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame.
2000 Named to the Ohio State Football All-Century Team.

Miscellaneous
Started on Ohio State's basketball team.
Played in three NCAA Basketball Tournaments.
Only member of the College Football Hall of Fame to start in an NCAA Final Four game.
Named All-American at Guard in 1945 and Tackle in 1946.
Became a veterinarian in London, Ohio instead of playing for the NY Giants.

Dr. Warren Amling's Ohio State career per Wikipedia:

In 1945 Amling was a unanimous All-America selection at guard on theBuckeye football team and finished seventh in the vote for the Heisman Trophy. In 1946 he was elected the team captain and volunteered to move totackle, a position where the team was thinner. At this new position he was again named an All American by the Sporting News and the Football Writers Association of America. Amling was inducted into the Ohio State Varsity O Hall of Fame in 1981 and the College Football Hall of Fame in 1984, and was selected to the Ohio State Football All-Century Team (at guard) in 2000.

Amling was also a starter for the Ohio State basketball team. He is the only member of the College Football Hall of Fame to start in an NCAA Final Four game.

Amling graduated from Ohio State in 1947 and turned down a chance to play for the New York Giants, choosing instead to practice veterinary medicine in London, Ohio. He served as a member of the board of directors of Wittenberg University in the late 1970s.

Lorenzo Styles LB (1992-94)
Born:
1974 (Sharon, PA)
High School: Farrell (PA)

Ohio State
The Buckeyes tied for first place in the Big Ten in 1993.
Ohio State went 27-8-2 during Styles' three seasons.

Honors
1993 All-Big Ten
1994 All-Big Ten
Mercy County Hall of Fame

Miscellaneous
A member of the Super Bowl XXXIV winning St. Louis Rams.
Played 6 seasons in the NFL.
2009-10 Coached Linebackers at Ohio Dominican University.
Attended Independence High School in Columbus in 1990.

More about Lorenzo Styles from whoislog.com:

Lorenzo Styles (born January 31, 1974 in Sharon, Pennsylvania) is a former professional American football player who played linebacker for six seasons for the Atlanta Falcons and St. Louis Rams, and spent half a season as the Head Coach of the Marion Blue Racers.

As a prep star at Farrell High School in Farrell, Pennsylvania from 1990 and 1991, he was inducted into the Mercer County Hall of Fame. He also attended Independence High School in Columbus, Ohio Heavily recruited by Ohio State University in which he received a full ride and played for Coach John Cooper for 3 seasons before he decided to take his talents to the NFL early.

He was drafted in the 3rd round by the Atlanta Falcons in the 3rd round of the 1995 NFL Draft. He ended up playing for 2 seasons as linebacker and on special teams. Traded in 1996 he went on to play for the St. Louis Rams, he went on to play for 4 seasons as a linebacker and special teams player. He helped the Rams win Super Bowl XXXIV. He retired in the beginning of the 2000 season after a 6 year professional career.

He has become a self made millionaire working with the likes of other real estate moguls and investment tycoons.

Quinn Pitcock DT (2002-06)
Born:
 1983 (Piqua, OH)
High School: Piqua

Ohio State
Member of the 2002 national championship team.
The Buckeyes were 55-9 with Pitcock on the team and won 3 Big Ten titles.

Honors
2006 All-American
2006 Bill WIllis Award
2006 All-Big Ten
2005 2nd Team All-Big Ten

Miscellaneous
Drafted in the third-round by the Colts in the 2007 NFL Draft.
Retired after his rookie season due to depression and video game addiction.
Currently playing for the Arizona Rattlers of he Arena Football League.

Pitcock at Ohio State per Wikipedia:

Pitcock attended Ohio State University, where he played for coach Jim Tressel's Ohio State Buckeyes football team from 2002 to 2006. As a junior in 2005, he was a second-team All-Big Ten selection; as a senior in 2006, he was a first-team All-Big Ten selection and a consensus first-team All-American, and was awarded the Bill Willis Trophy.

Pitcock's video game addiction from the Daily Dayton News:

The 29-year-old Pitcock was - and still is - a video game addict who ended up losing friends, his livelihood and most of all his perspective and sense of self as he sank deeper and deeper into the world of virtual reality..

“I was living the dream. I was coming off my senior year for the Buckeyes being drafted in the third round by the Indianapolis Colts. So I was on the right path for greatness and then things turned for the worst,” he told Kouric on her show “Katie."

[...]

“We have off season workouts and some of us do charities during the day and the rest of the day is off to play (video) football games, Halo (and) Call To Duty like myself. In the locker room we had a video game system and we played them there. That’s how my video gaming started. I end up buying a game station for home. Then the online players are what got me because no matter what time of day… there is still someone playing.”

He said he became one of the top ranked players in the world in three different games: “Top three rakings in millions and millions of people, so in my mind I was doing well. So why not keep on playing?”...

...Pitcock said the Colts offered to help him, but initially he slipped deeper into his addiction:

“I was spiraling down where video games were taking over my life. Once I did quit the NFL my addiction got even worse. That’s when I really got into the 18-plus hours a day. Eating one meal a day. Secluded from everybody - my friends, family, everybody. I realized then it was a physical need. It was no longer just a mental, ‘Oh, I want to play.’ It was, ‘I don’t want to play anymore,’ but physically, I had to play. I could not stop.”

It took Pitcock a while to accept the Colts’ offer, but when he did it helped him save his life.

“They (the Colts) didn’t shun me out at all, they were there to help me,” he said. “But it’s like any addict - you can’t get recovery until you’re ready to accept you’re an addict and that you want recovery. And that was the part I wasn’t ready for. It took me at least six months to a year until I started going to the psychologist/psychiatrist provided by the Colts.”...

...He said talking to someone about his addictions helped him deal with them and he suggests other people who find their lives spiraling downward into a gamer’s world of virtual reality should find someone to open up to, as well:

“Talk to a third party and just speak your mind. For me, I realized once I got things off my chest, it was a lot easier to get away from the games, because the games are a way to separate yourself from reality (and go into) virtual reality you can control. Once you face the truth of reality, I think you can move forward.”

No. 90 In The NFL Draft
NAME YEAR ROUND PICK POS TEAM
WARREN AMLING 1946 11 95 OT GIANTS
PAT CURTO 1976 16 441 LB FALCONS
LORENZO STYLES 1995 3 77 LB FALCONS
QUINN PITCOCK 2007 3 18 DT COLTS
THADDEUS GIBSON 2010 4 116 DE STEELERS
Today's Trivia Answers

Warren Amling is the only member of the College Football Hall of Fame to achieve what in college basketball?

Answer: He is the only member to start in the Final Four.

Can you name the player who wore No. 90 and was a digital defensive stud on Bill Walsh College Football?

Answer: Lorenzo Styles. I would dominate with Styles coming off the right edge and record a sack almost every snap.

Why did Quinn Pitcock retire from the NFL after one season?  

Answer: His video game addiction and depression.

Previous Numbers
99 98 97 96 95 94 93 92 91 90

173 days until The Game and That Team still sucks.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 11 Comments