Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Time to Put the Zone Read Down

+8 HS
cmillertime247's picture
January 1, 2018 at 10:23am
131 Comments

I don’t want to sound overly aggressive here but it’s time to take the Zone Read Offense out to the barn and put it down. We have all spent countless hours on here arguing about how bad JT looks or how bad our offense looks and I think it all comes back to one common dominator, the zone read offense. Urban has been running this offense since he was at Bowling Green, and if you remember right after the embarrassing loss to Oklahoma anonymous coaches throughout the country were making comments about how predictable Urbans offense has become. And Urbans offense is no other than the zone read. I’m not saying it’s not ok to run a zone read here or there but everything this offense does rotates around it. 90% of our runs are off zone read, hence why JT usually lead the team in carriers. On short yardage downs we usually run some variation of the zone read which has cost us many first downs. I think the frustration on offense and it’s inability to look good at times all leads back to this.

With JT gone and a new era starting next year, I think it’s time to move past the zone read and let Wilson and Day do their thing. I’m about 95% sure Haskins will be the starter so we need an offense that highlights a guy with a cannon in the backfield. Wilson lead Bradford to a Heisman season and we have all heard that Day is Chip Kelly Jr. These two are more than capable of running a high powered offense playing off the strengths of their QB. Urban has to drop his pride and ego and let it happen. I believe we will see a different type of offense next year and will be right back in NC contention.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 131 Comments