Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

OSU vs. USC - Do They Ask Themselves “so What” Leading Up to Each Game?

+4 HS
Large Father's picture
December 27, 2017 at 11:36am
25 Comments

Tressels, Fickells and Urbans,

Is this what the fans for about 120 other college football teams feel like?

Do they ask themselves "so what" leading up to each game?

If you are like me, I start getting good nervous energy about the next game when I wake up on Sunday morning that carries throughout the week until the next Saturday kickoff.  I'm having trouble connecting the fact that Ohio State is playing in a football game this week and I'm not cycling through all my odd superstitions and game week rituals...and extremely interested in whether or not the Buckeye's win.

For the upcoming game against USC, I feel a little guilty and uncomfortable with this reoccurring thought in the back of my mind: what's the point?

Over the last 21 years, it is very rare for Ohio State to play in a football game with nothing on the line...Big Ten Championship implications, BCS bowl bid, BCS bowl victory, National Championship chase, the Michigan Game...or the Rose Bowl.  If the Rose Bowl was not part of the CFP this year, this would be a classic match-up of Ohio State vs. USC at 5pm on New Year's Day in the Granddaddy of Them All.  This one feels more like a distant cousin once removed than the granddaddy.  

My semi-disinterest reminds me of how easy it is to be an Ohio State fan...and why the fan base is so passionate.  The game almost always matters.  

Also, my semi-disinterest shines a light on the thin line the College Football Playoff walks.  There were quite a few Penn State fans sitting near me in Ohio Stadium for the OSU-PSU game this season.  They were still upset about being snubbed last season for the CFP even though PSU won the Big Ten Championship game.  I kinda get it now...both Penn State last year and Ohio State this year lost too many games...BUT winning the Big Ten Championship should mean something and give that team a chance to play for the National Championship.  I'm sure USC and Pac-12 fans feel the same way.  The CFP decisions devalue the conference championship and regular season.  Little did the teams in the Big Ten and Pac-12 conferences know that there was no end goal.    

My semi-disinterest is fueled by the whimsical, autonomous decision-making process of the CFP committee.  

I consider myself a pretty good litmus test for the most passionate college football fan base...I'm one of the best customers of the product.  If the CFP committee can lose me, then something is wrong.  They need to figure out a way to get all five champions from the Power 5 conferences and the best Group of Five team in the playoff now.  

One thing I want to see happen...unlike Penn State last year...I'd like Ohio State to take it to USC and demonstrate the Buckeyes and the Big Ten Conference should have been given a chance.

Touchdowns:  Dobbins, McLaurin, Parris Campbell, Dixon, Weber

OSU 38 USC 21

Go Bucks!  Beat USC!  BB Landers for Heisman!

Large Father

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 25 Comments