Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

In the Spirit of the Season: Top Ten Buckeye Bowl Games

+4 HS
OhioAgainstTheWorld34's picture
December 5, 2017 at 12:38pm
24 Comments

Let me first preface this by saying that I was born in 1990, so I am merely rating the top ten bowl games of my lifetime.  The first game I truly remember is the 1997 Rose Bowl.  I stormed the field on the shoulders of my dad in Bloomington and for Christmas I remember getting a Rose Bowl bound shirt and I think my 7 year old self wore that everyday for a year.  So here we go.... (National Title Games were included in the list).

10.) 2004 Alamo Bowl: Ohio State 33 Oklahoma State 7

We were the better OSU on that night despite playing without Troy Smith.  Ted Ginn Jr. made a few plays that night one of which I vividly remember he out ran about everyone on the Oklahoma State defense as he weaved back and forth across the field.

9.) 2011 Sugar Bowl: Ohio State 31 Arkansas 26

The game happened and I bought the Sugar Bowl Champs Tee.  What was a very fun second quarter lead to an 18 point lead ended with sheer panic as the Bucks let them back in the game.  This was the last game we got to see the sweater vest on the sideline.  Glad it ended up being a W no matter what the NCAA says.

8.) 1998 Sugar Bowl: Ohio State 24 Texas A&M 14

I truly believe this is one of the best teams in my lifetime.  Had we not slipped up to stupid Sparty at home this team more than likely wins the first ever BCS title (stupid Tennessee had to win).  None the less I still loved this 1998 team.

7.) 2016 Fiesta Bowl (The good one.) Ohio State 44 Notre Dame 28

I watched this game from a Buffalo Wild Wings somewhere in the middle of Pennsylvania, as my fiancé and I made the trip home from New Year's in Times Square where I had just purposed.  The beat down of the Irish was the cherry on the top of the weekend.  This team should have gotten the preferential Bama treatment because again if we don't do what the 1998 version of the Buckeyes did at home against Sparty I think we defend that title.

6.) 2006 Fiesta Bowl: Ohio State 34 Notre Dame 20

The high octane offense poured it on the Irish.  The whole AJ Hawk/Brady Quinn storyline was cool too.  As it is always a blast pounding the Irish into irrelevance.  I believe we have an upcoming home/home with them.  Hopefully the results are the same as the last two meetings.

5.) 2010 Rose Bowl: Ohio State 26 Oregon 17

I am not sure many people thought we could tame the wild Ducks offense the way we did in that Rose Bowl.  Foreshadowing a little to a victory that will appear later on this list.  This game was fun because it really did feel like we kind of shocked some people.  The next time the Buckeyes play in Pasadena I wanna be there.

4.) 1997 Rose Bowl: Ohio State 20 Arizona State 17

This is the first bowl game I think I remember watching from start to end... I feel like I vaguely remember the Citrus Bowl against Tennessee because I grew up in the heart of SEC country and people would constantly take jabs, however I choose not to recall it so I will stick to my guns as this being my first Buckeye Bowl memory.  How fun was that final drive?!  I remember screaming in front of our RCA TV that would go fuzzy when you jumped too much on the living room floor with my brother and dad.. Needless to say it went fuzzy after that David Boston TD.

3.) CFP National Championship: Ohio State 42 Oregon 20

I rate this third as I did in previous top ten earlier in the year for all time great games... Mainly because of what #2 on the list meant.  I was absolutely nervous as all get out prior to the game but having done what we did to Alabama the previous week it almost felt as if we could do it again.  For that reason it is where it is... No doubt a heck of night to be a Buckeye.

2.) 2015 Sugar Bowl: Ohio State 42 Alabama 35

As I mentioned living in the heart of SEC country provides for a lot tolerance to the superiority syndrome, that I have been surrounded by even this week... UGH... Makes my blood boil.  That being said whenever it gets to be a lot I just reflect on the night Zeke went running through the heart of the south.  It was great.  And when Tyvis picked that ball off to seal it the joy I felt was similar to what I felt when I was 13 at the conclusion of #1.

1.) 2003 Fiesta Bowl (BCS National Title Game): Ohio State 31 Miami 24 2OT

I am pretty sure this game shaved 10 years off my life even as a 13 year old kid.  It was absolutely nuts.  The roller coaster of emotions from being down early to taking the lead, to having the Hurricanes force OT, to thinking they weren't going to call that obvious PI, then to winning the game as the ball fell in front of Donnie Nickey was riveting.  When the game ended I couldn't do anything but run to the front door and scream YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

I threw together the list to kind of pump myself up for this matchup against USC here in a couple weeks.  I have never been to a bowl game so I would love to hear your guys stories of the aforementioned bowls or even those that occurred before my time.

GO BUCKS!!!! Beat USC.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 24 Comments