Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Why Harbaugh Should Not Play Peters This Saturday - Even if He's Cleared

+17 HS
buckeye phi's picture
November 22, 2017 at 7:15pm
73 Comments

,There has been a lot of talk about the quarterback situation at Michigan for this year's edition of The Game.  It is widely believed that the Wolverines best chance to win (or even be competitive) is if Brandon Peters plays rather than his back-up, John O'Korn. 

As most 11Wers undoubtedly know, Peters was injured in Michigan's loss to Wisconsin last weekend and is still undergoing the concussion protocol mandated by the NCAA.  At this time it is anyone's guess if he'll be cleared in time to play in the big game. 

However, I am suggesting that Michigan coach, Jim Harbaugh, should not start Peters even if he is deemed able to go on Saturday. 

Why? 

First of all, I'm not sure it's a favorable risk verses reward scenario - especially considering the kid's health v what's really at stake for his team at this point in the season. The Wolverines are out of the running for any kind of championship this year.  Realistically, the only thing they are playing for now (besides pride) is the best bowl game they can get. 

If it appears Peters is in fact their best option at QB moving forward, why would his coach subject him to (very likely) further abuse just coming off what looked to be a fairly serious concussion. 

Look at it this way.  By far the strongest position group of any on a talent-laden Ohio State team is its defensive ends.  One of UM's big areas of concern this season is its pass protection - (which might have more than a little something to do with their struggles in the passing game this year, incidentally). 

The idea of putting the immediate future of the program (as far as QB is concerned) in the direct path of the likes of Lewis, Bosa, Hubbard and Holmes should have any sensible Wolverine cringing.  Every one of those guys is very likely to be playing in the NFL within the next couple of years. 

Speaking of the players' careers, Harbaugh could even be jeopardizing Peters' future in the sport entirely by placing him in such a situation.  It's never good to suffer a second concussion in such quick succession. 

And again - why do it?  So they don't getting beaten as badly in the rivalry game as they might have otherwise? (For a game that will be played on Michigan's home field, The Buckeyes were favored by eleven and a half last time I checked) 

I know, I know - its The Game - typically, you pull out all the stopsBut it seemed to me that kid was really hurt last SaturdayLooking at it past the next few days - it just doesn't make sense. 

Besides - by "not being able" to play his best option at QB, ol' Crazy Jimmie will have a built-in excuse for what I believe is going to be an (uncharacteristically for this series) lopsided loss.  Since I believe the Michigan fan base is starting to have a few doubts about their supposed savior (rumors about lifetime contracts aside), that could be a consideration as well -

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 73 Comments