Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

For All the JT Haters Out There (Actual Numbers Within)

+10 HS
rosenbuck's picture
October 15, 2017 at 12:24am
166 Comments

So, I've seen a lot of stuff tonight about "JT Haters" being silenced.  I think it's hilarious that people actually think a blowout against a terrible team will do anything to curb others' doubts about his ability to get it done in the big games.  With that in mind, I took it upon myself to actually look up how JT has done against ranked teams since his freshman season.  I did not choose that point to discount his freshman performances, but because many of us "haters" think his performance clearly declined following that breakout year.  So I totaled and averaged his stats in games against ranked teams (AP Poll) and also for teams that finish ranked- a distinction I think is more important because if you think that when we beat Nebraska last year that we beat the 10th best team in the country, well I don't know what to tell you.

I'll admit, I did this quick and dirty (ESPN stats, don't hate me-I was in a hurry, it's late) but the numbers speak for themselves.  Yes, JT has looked better the past few weeks.  But you know what, he also torched Rutgers, Maryland, and Nebraska last year and that certainly didn't help him against Penn State or Clemson (and very, very nearly vs UM).  I hope at least some of you who demonize those of us who question his ability to win the most important games and think we're idiots with no clue can see that there is an argument to be had here.  Statistically he is the best QB in OSU history, without doubt.  But that doesn't mean he's above scrutiny. 

So what do you think?  Is this normal decline due to playing better teams?  Do you discount the MSU game because of bad weather?  Was the OU game last year stat-padding against a bad defense (84th in YPP)?

Mods, if this gets locked or deleted, so be it, but I couldn't find anything through the search function that had compiled his numbers in this way and I thought it was time this debate had some actual data.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 166 Comments