Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

General Meyer's War Journal--The Black Knight Skirmish

+21 HS
MiamiBuckeye's picture
September 16, 2017 at 8:15pm
32 Comments

Stressful at times, but ultimately never in question, this was an easier game to write about than last week's.

September 16th, The Year of Our Lord, Two Thousand and Seventeen

Dearest Shelley,

I write you in much better spirits than I found myself in last week, and I say that not only in reference to the truly excellent spirits (a wagon of the finest Bombay gin) looted from the supply trail of our beaten foe. Early in the afternoon of this day, the Black Knight Army under the banner of General Jeffrey Monken crested the hills south of Columbus. It was there that we met them, on the same fields where we were shattered by the Army of Oklahoma the week prior. Despite--or perhaps because of--the recent defeat, our forces struck with great vigor and decisiveness, and in these early goings with the Black Knights' rearguard enveloped and beset on many sides, it seemed we would grasp an easy victory.

But our foe was not so outmatched as they seemed, and with General Monken himself spurring them on, the Black Knights launched one of the most inspiring and frightful counterattacks I have ever witnessed, driving through the heart of our ranks to the very outskirts of our fair city Columbus. It was that strange weapon of theirs that Lincoln of Riley had warned me of--their "Triple Option"--that allowed such success against defenses ill-prepared to ward against it.

After their limited gains however, the Black Knights were unable to hold on to what territory they'd captured, and led by that outstanding hotspur Corporal (soon to be Sergeant if he continues to distinguish himself so boldly in the field) Dobbins of the Texan detachment, our men more than recaptured our losses. Colonel Schiano, on my order, advanced to command our forces directly from the front, which further strengthened our hand. In the late goings of the battle, Captain Barrett withdrew so as not to overstretch our supplies, but so as not to allow the Black Knights the opportunity to regroup, young Second Lieutenant Haskins led a raiding party to harass the retreating columns. While he failed to capture General Monken himself, he did manage to seize the aforementioned wagon trail, which may go to some modest lengths in replenishing our depleted stores after yesterweek's depredations.

I look forward to seeing you once again, as soon as I've shorn up Columbus's defenses, for our advanced pickets have reported an advancing column of troops advancing across the hills and plains of Missouri toward Ohio. They are a motley bunch, poorly equipped and ill-led but determined, driven by desperation, for what else could bring an army from the far wastes of Las Vegas to our fair green plains?

Yours forever,

General Urban Francis Meyer

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 32 Comments