Site Stuff Forum

Site Stuff Forum

Let's get meta.

Film Studies

+3 HS
BuckeyeCrusdader's picture
August 9, 2017 at 8:03pm
12 Comments

Have these articles been seen sparingly recently or is it just me? Or the off season? I ask because the Film Studies are a huge reason why I started following Eleven Warriors in the first place. Secondly I would like to see a film study about constraint plays (or the lack thereof) under Beck/Warriner. Seemed to me like defenses were almost able to tee off against base plays and formations with little worry of being burned by a constraint play. Obviously JT under center wasn't a base play.. but every time we were in that formation it was 100% jet sweep to Curtis Samuel.. defenses quickly recognized that. Maybe I'm wrong but to me it seems like good coordinators always make defenses pay when they have too many or too few defenders in the box, or when they are over aggressive against base formations and plays. Seems like we were poor at this and that Warriner and Beck were out there playing checkers when everyone else plays chess. Obviously the players have to be able to execute, but to counter that it's hard to execute against a defense that already knows what you're doing. Obviously people would say we couldn't force defenses to not stack the box because we couldn't hit the deep ball.. well we can throw WR bubble screens on RPOs off the Zone plays and force outside linebackers to align out wide and not be able to attack the run as aggressively.. but I didn't see that either.
Anyway what I really want to know is was it as bad as I think.. and does Kevin Wilson use constraint plays well to keep defenses honest.. so that our base plays are more successful? (End of ??? Rant)

[mod edit - moved to site stuff]

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 12 Comments